Welcome to the New Loach Forum

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Iris76

Greetings from Holland

Post by Iris76 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:35 am

Flat ol' Holland, no hillstreams over here :wink:
Been lurking for a few months while looking for info but now that i did change my tank to create more comfort for my Hillstreams,
i thought it was time to register and join the forum. Since a year or so, i'm hooked on Hillstream Loaches.
I don't know why but it's these kind of fish that got me to re-decorate my tank.
I didn't use the rivertank manifold as pictured on the website but i made a waterfall from flagstone.
It's a sort of cantina for my tank, the shrimps and Hillies gather there in search for food.
For over 15 years i've had tropical tanks and now i have my first sub-tropical tank.
Hail to the LOL species index! It saved me a lot of time searching on the internet for excact species.

Some specifics:

Tank:
100x 50x 40 cm ( 50 gallon)

Fauna:
4 x Beaufortia Kweichowensis
1 x Gastromyzon Ctenocephalus
2 x Gastromyzon Ocellatus
2 x Sewellia Lineolata
4 x Atyopsis Moluccensis
2 x Rhinogobius Duospilus/ Wui ( both ♂, female died ;( )
10x Tanichthys albonubes ( normal and Long fin)

Flora:
- Anubias Hastifolia
- Anubias Gracilis
- Anubias Nana
- Anubias Yellow Heart
- Anubias Minima
- Anubias Barterii
- Acorus Gramineus Ogon
- Chladoflora mossball
- Vesicularia sp. moss
- Java moss

Technics:
- JBL Christalprofi e 1500 external filter
- JBL ProTemp 150 W
- Eheim 400 aeration pump
- Teco TR 10 chiller (only used in summer)
- Resun SP 2500 Powerhead (1400L/PH)

Waterparameters:
- PH 7.2
- KH: 8
- GH: 10
- NO2: 0
- NO3: 0

Temperatures:
- In summer: 23.5 C max. (74.3 F)
- In winter: 19.0 C min. (66.2 F)

Some shots from my tank's first set up. Some plants have been removed and changed but this is to give you a first impression of my tank.
(please don't mind the filter-outflow. I still need to change the outflow, this is only a temporary solution) :oops:
Nowadays the tank has riped and all pebbles and flagstones are covered with fresh green algae.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/ ... 050458.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/ ... 050459.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/ ... 050473.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/ ... 050494.jpg

I hope to learn a lot more and talk about the wonderful Hillies in the forums.
see ya!
Last edited by Iris76 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Only dead fish go with the flow "

tyrano34

Post by tyrano34 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm

Bonjour , hello

I present my name is laurent but everybody is know in tyrano34, I am the webmaster of the forum aqualifestyle French-France and I share with every country in the world, I am very happy to come on your forum.

Forgive me if my English is medium.

I love all the strange fish, I have a 600 liter of brackish water with Periophthalmus barbarus and I have a 54 liter 4 Stiphodon sp neo blue seems to be the Stiphodon semoni.

bye

see you later

Iris76

Post by Iris76 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:44 pm

Hello/ Bonjour/ Welcome Laurent,

Stiphodons are pretty, i love how they can change colours and their face seems gentle and friendly. I googled your species, they are beautiful!
My Rhinogobuis are still youngsters, they are hardly 3 cm's long and need to mature. The male is trying but i know he can do better by the time ...
I never had any brackish fish but cool that it interests you so much. Mudskippers are wonderful, interesting little fishies.

And your english is good enough to understand you, don't worry.

See you around and i'll be on the lookout for pictures of your mudskippers and Stiphodons :)
"Only dead fish go with the flow "

allan101

Hi Friends

Post by allan101 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:44 am

Hi Everybody,
I found this forum by google. Many information available in this forum and its solution are available in this forum. I like this forum. Everybody Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. it is in incredible site in my opinion, ideal for the enthusiast like me-self. I have recently join this site and It's pleasure to be a part of your forum. I love to try also what you are discussing here. Thanks!

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:10 am

Welcome to LOL!

Hope you like what we've got here. Please take a time to fill your Profile showing us where are you from.

Cheers!
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

shirleyjones

vancouver flowers

Post by shirleyjones » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:41 am

I AM NEW OF this forum ....

.vancouver flowers

gillz

Post by gillz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi everyone. i have four tropical community tanks and live in Sunny Auckland, at the moment only one has Clown loaches but i am hoping to get some for my 4ft community tank. What are your thoughts on Yoyo loaches i have been told they love eating MTS.I love the character of Clown Loaches but want to try my hand at a different type of Loach and as i have a snail problem i thought i might try yoyos . :D :D :D

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Gillz. A big hello and welcome from the other-side-of-the-ditch.
I have never had snails but have read on here many times that Yo-Yo's are excellent snailhunters. They are a very active fish and mine are always out searching for food or chasing each other or harassing the other tankmates . They arent really aggresive but "playfull" and seem to enjoy the chase. When I walk-up to my tank all my other fish disappear but my Yo-Yo's will come to the front and beg for food like puppydogs - so cute. They can be pigs when it comes to food and grow quite fast.
Cheers Graeme.
PS - Congrats on making the World-Cup.
"I want to speak with many things and I will not leave this planet without knowing what I came to find, without solving this affair, and people are not enough. I have to go much farther and I have to go much closer." - Pablo Neruda.

SickSander

new here

Post by SickSander » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:48 pm

hello there

im a big fan of the hillstream suckers and have about 12 in 4/5 species
in 2 tanks

a 60liter with the "special" ones and my girlfriends her assorted corydoras and 2 albino Sarassa

and a 180liter set up as a river tank but only occupied by 4 suckers but they share it with 5 young koi (largest 15 CM) and they will move out this spring and then it will be an exclusive hillstream sucker tank
(need to buy some more then but they are very expensive €5.95 a fish)

ill be reading you later
Sicksander

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Welcome! :D

Sprint

Post by Sprint » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:04 am

Hello!

Found this site while researching treating sick Clowns.

Had some water problems but I think we're back in the green again. The good news is that all the fish survived. The bad news is that all of the live plants didn't. Not sure if it was the salt or the high temps. The tank looked pretty bad so I've added some plastic plants and some large slabs of slate both for my peace of mind and for hiding places for the fish. I'll get started on some live plants in a few days.

Params today:
pH: 72
Ammonia: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
GH:130-150
KH:30
Temp 86F

Denizens:
A large Pleco that's been with us for many years - 10+ inches
three Clown Loaches 2 inches (more are planned - there were four but one leaped.)
ten Glow Lite tetras 1.5 inches
four Hatchet fish 1.5 inches
and four Platys 3 inches (who started all the trouble - my 9-year old wanted them.)
One Labio (hate to call 'em sharks)

It's a 55g tank.

I'm backing down the temp slowly starting tomorrow, and with water changes backing out the high salt content.

The aquarium is a long established one - it's been standing here since '95 but was broken down, cleaned and set up again in 2001 when we had the floors refinished. It's been fairly empty for a while as all of the old fish have passed - most were at least ten years old. It's kind of weird to have fish older than your third-grader! My family have been asking "can we put some fish in the aquarium?" for some time. So we're starting over more or less.

I've been enjoying reading the information on the site and enjoying the forums so I thought I'd join up.

Regards!
Tim

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi all

Wanted to say hello as I have just got back into keeping fish (having a child kind of used up the cash as well as the energy for a while!) and looking forward to getting some loaches.

Found the site and have already appreciated the advice and enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

My tank, running in London, UK, since mid-Feb 2010

100cm x 45cm x 50cm wide - 200l after decor

Current occupants

Tiger Barb x 6
Platy x4
Zebra Danio x6
Ancisctrus x1

Planning to add
Neon Dwarf Rainbows (10?)
Cardinal Tetras (15?)
maybe some other rainbows

and..
Zebra Loach (6-8) - once it's been running longer and I have added some caves/more bogwood.
MJW

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Welcome!!
Where are you from?

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Jim Powers wrote:Welcome!!
Where are you from?
Hanwell, London, England.

Big city, lots of fish shops - shame all the best ones seem a way away on the East side!
MJW

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Welcome to Loaches Online. 8)