Welcome to the New Loach Forum

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shadoj

Re: Welcome to the New Loach Forum

Post by shadoj » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:43 am

Hello all from Minnesota, USA. I too am quite enamored with loaches. Figured I should actually register on the forum and say hi. Looking forward to getting lots more good advice here!

Oh, and my loach count across various tanks:

5x Black kuhlis (Pangio oblonga)
6x Banded kuhlis (Pangio kuhlii ?)
3x Dojo loaches (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus)
6x Angelicus loach (Botia kubotai) -- juveniles, hopefully correctly labelled
5x Zebra loach (Botia striata)

I'll try to get a few photos posted soon.

Jen

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:44 am

Welcome Jen. Sounds like you are on the way to having a great loach collection. I was thrilled earlier this week to find 5 Kubotai for $3.50 each. Yea! :)

shadoj

Post by shadoj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Welcome Jen. Sounds like you are on the way to having a great loach collection. I was thrilled earlier this week to find 5 Kubotai for $3.50 each. Yea!
Thanks, and nice find on the kubs! I managed to win 4 captive-bred Sewellia lineolata at our club auction yesterday for a decent price ($5 each), so I guess it's time to go PVC shopping tomorrow. The little guys are absolutely adorable and settling in nicely.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Wow! That is really cool. So nice your club has hillstreams for auction.

tutters187

Post by tutters187 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi all from Queensland AUS,

I love loaches, but here in OZ we have strict import laws on what we can have. We can have Clown, Sidthimunki, Black & Striped Kuhli, Yo-yo, and Hillstream loach but that's not enough for me.
What i have at the moment is:
2 Horseface Loach
3 Striata
1 Red tail Loach
1 Kubotai
1 Fork tail Loach ( so cute ) a friend found it in with some Kuhli's where i used to work.
1 Tiger loach
1 Clown Loach

I have had in the past
3 Skunk Loach
1 Bi colour loach
3 Burmese Loach
4 Botia Histrionica
1 Dojo Loach
and 1 other loach that i can only describe as, it's body was longer, and thinner looking from above then a Kuhli and it's colour was like pink with grey over the top.

Anyway that's just the loaches, i mostly keep and breed cichlids, catfish and guppys.

Ciao
Jeanine

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 am

Welcome! :)

Current betta count...Too many. :P

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 am

Hi all from Hameln, Germany!

I'm not a native speaker, please excuse any flaws in my posts :)

I'm about to set up a new fish tank, 120*60*60cm, 432l with the following fish / shrimps:

Caridina japonica (multidentata)
Sawbwa resplendens
Microrasboras erythromicron
Macrobrachium sp. Inle-Lake (Myanmar)
Gastromyzon ctenocephalus

It's all about south Asia with focus on Myanmar.

Can't wait to start, but first of all, i'll have to make sure that the Gastromyzon ctenocephalus have a suitable habitat and that's why I'm in here!

I'll start with reading the posts, but be prepared for a few Dummie-Questions ;)

Cheers!

Andreas

2rivers

Post by 2rivers » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Hello, just checkin in from here in NH. Ill be lookin for more modesta's soon the bigger and meaner the better. Im not on here much and still new to forums. Ill have to login more, normally I use the pics to identify loaches and dont login and gab,SO howdy.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Welcome to LOL!

Current betta count...Too many. :P

kplesner

Post by kplesner » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:17 pm

This weekend I posted my first question on loaches.com and got some replies right away. Those answers turned out to be spot on.

I've used loaches.com regularly over the years and actually contributed a little back in the 90s when I had observed what I was certain was breeding behaviour in what was then known as Botia lohachata, now Botia almorhae. I was amazed to see, that my observation is still linked under the description of B. almorhae:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/sexual- ... a-almorhae

I never got around to doing more research on the breeding behaviour of my botias. Less than two months after my observation, I came to the basement and found a lot of water on the floor and none in that particular tank. All the fish were dead by then. That was a really sad sight.

Right now I'm busy setting up a 250 liter tank (130x40x50cm) for hillstream loaches. Both Sewelia lineolata and Sewelia sp. 'spotted' are available here in Copenhagen and I like both a lot, but they are rather expensive. The S. lineolata sells for around $20 and the S. sp. 'spotted' is even more expensive.

I was inspired to set up such a tank after reading the 'Loaches' book co-written by some of the people from loaches.com.

Karsten Plesner

bugsy

Post by bugsy » Sun May 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Hello Everyone, My name is Mark, I hail from West Cumbria. I am married with two boys (6 and 10), i have a border collie, 2 budgies and 4 tanks of various sizes around the house

Tank 1, is a 24X12X12 cold water/semi tropical tank with various Gouramis, Kuhli Loaches, and Catfish

Tank 2, is a 15X12X11 Tropical tank, with Platies, and Corydoras

Tank 3, 18X12X12 Cold water tank with Neon Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, Dwarf Gourami, and 2 Ghost Shrimps

Tank 4, 15l tank with two small Shubunkins.

I will add photos later of these tanks

My other hobbies include, Walking, Photography, Airgunning (only indoor target competitions for me)

well that about sums me up briefly i hope to gleam a lot of info from here during my stay

Doug

Post by Doug » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Hello, long time no see. Is there anyone from the Glasgow area here?

I am in the process of rehoming quite a few of my fish (4 of the Goldfish have gone to a nice big indoor pond for example!). I have a solitary 'Hong Kong Plec' (Beufortia Kwechik... something) which was bought originally as an 'Algae Eater'. It is about 3 or 4 and is 1.5/2 inches long

I realise my tank is not suitable for its needs, (but it nontheless seems to be quite happy), and as such, it is high time I let it move on to a new home where it can benefit from the right facilities with an experienced owner.

If you are in the West of Scotland (I can travel. Within reason), have the right tank (river tank etc) are an experienced keeper and want an extra Loach, or know someone fitting that description, then please let me know.

Thanks.

Doug

Post by Doug » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:50 pm

..... Failing that, where abouts would I be able to get the equipment to make a river tank? Is it all handmade, or is the equipment sold commecially these days?

I have been rehoming my fish because the tank is overstocked and would like to have small fish instead. The Loach is simply in the wrong type of tank.

Thanks

OneSweetJream

Post by OneSweetJream » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:18 am

:D Hello fellow clown lovers, I'm so excited to have found this place!!!
I hope to learn more about my favorite freashwater fish. I'm not an expert. I'm more or less a newby. Had a tank 20 yr's ago & loved my clowns. Life events forced me to give up my tank & find a new home for my fishes. But, I've finally gotten a tank going again since August 2011, & my main focus has been my clowns. Haven't had much online oppertunities, but have learned things I never knew 20yr's ago!! Thanks for being here :-) I'll try not to be too bothersome :wink:

Natascha

Post by Natascha » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:53 am

HI, I just found this great site while looking for information on fat Yoyo loaches! Well, I already found out I don't need to rush out and set up another tank for my "about to give birth" Yoyo Lol! So I'm grateful.

I have been babysitting a 4 ft and a 2 foot cichlid tank for my son (and set up a nano for the fry of the electric blues so they don't get eaten this time!) and they'll be going back to his place in February. Meanwhile I have fallen in love with the loaches! Oh no! Wondering if I can set up a loaches tank but with multiple species? I have Clown and Khuli Loaches in the African Cichlid tank and Yoyo's in the South American Cichlid tank. Can they live together? :?:

Natascha
PS I'm usually a marine fish girl and I have a lot to learn about loaches. I live in Australia.