Welcome to the New Loach Forum

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jules

Re: Welcome to the New Loach Forum

Post by Jules » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:30 am

Just thought I would introduce myself as a new Loach keeper. Bought 5 Golden Zebras yesterday to hopefully deal with a snail population within one of my tanks and am quite smitten with these little chaps already. I also have 4 Sewellia Lineolata in a temperate tank who reside with 6 Rhinogobius.

What I've read of the whole site so far is excellent and I look forward to reading and learning more.

:D

miste

Hello all

Post by miste » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Hello all,

It is nice to introduce yourself as new forum member, so here I go :)

My name is Michael and I am situated in the Netherlands. I have a 150 x 50 x 60 hillstream tank since a few weeks.

For the moment I keep these species:

Sewellia sp. spotted
Sewellia lineolata
Pseudogastromyzon myersi
Aborichthys elongatus
Gastromyzon scitulus
Lentipus armatus
Schistura cf. balteata
Sicyopus exallisquamulus
Gagata cenia

Of course more will follow, but that depends on what I can get hold off :)

Cheers,

Michael

ta2rtist

Post by ta2rtist » Mon May 28, 2012 3:13 am

hello all, i have just found this site!!!! i love loaches, my name is kenny, you might say im obsessed with these lil guys :lol: , i am a professional tattoo artist, i have a 72"x13"x21" tank with a stand i built(insert pride here :wink: ), i have 10 clowns, 2 polkas,3 dojo,2 zipper, 1 hillstream, 3 yoyos,1 royal, 1 half banded, 2 skunk, 2 khulis, 3 zebra,2 golden zebras, 2 blue,1 serpent, and soon 2 panda, and 1 saddleback!! i love the look and the SEARCH on this site, ill be here for awhile, stop by and say hi 8)

dupko

Post by dupko » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 am

ta2rtist wrote:hello all, i have just found this site!!!! i love loaches, my name is kenny, you might say im obsessed with these lil guys :lol: , i am a professional tattoo artist, i have a 72"x13"x21" tank with a stand i built(insert pride here :wink: ), i have 10 clowns, 2 polkas,3 dojo,2 zipper, 1 hillstream, 3 yoyos,1 royal, 1 half banded, 2 skunk, 2 khulis, 3 zebra,2 golden zebras, 2 blue,1 serpent, and soon 2 panda, and 1 saddleback!! i love the look and the SEARCH on this site, ill be here for awhile, stop by and say hi 8)

Thats quite alot of them :D :shock:

GabbleGob

Post by GabbleGob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:15 pm

:D Hello! Thank you for a great forum. I already love this site. I have two golden weather loaches amongst other fish. I really love them. They are so entertaining and naughty. I also really love my plec. and my huge mummy shubunkin.

Mamba

Post by Mamba » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:55 am

Hi All,

I live in Northern Ireland. I am very much new to fish keeping in general. I've only been at this about four months. I started out with the usual, yep, Goldfish (that may be a dirty word here :D ) but I have a 3 Ft tank for my fancy goldfish i'm using as a growing tank. I have a Five foot tank I have a mix of goldfish and Koi in and I have a small tank which I have 6 chinese Banded Loaches and a few young Tiger barbs in.

I saw the Chinese Banded Loaches for sale in Grosvenor Tropical's in Lisburn. I saw them and thought they were absolutely beautiful.They will be getting transferred to a larger, 4ft tank as soon as I can. When I bought them I bought a couple and added them to fancy goldfish tank, big mistake. I asked the young chap when I bought them whether I could keep them safely with my goldfish. Unbeknown to him they couldn't. A day or two later I noticed the fins were shredded on most of the goldfish. They were transferred to my small hospital tank asap to separate as I didn't want to loose them.

I am very eager to learn as much as I can about them in the first instance as I want to get the tank set up spot on. There doesn't seem to be a great deal I can find on-line about these loaches so, as it happens I came across this site and the rest is, as they say history. Space is a bit tight at the moment so these little beauties should be my first, but I am sure won't be the last foray into loaches as i'm already drawn to the Banded Khulli Loaches amongst others too.

Cheers all, I look forward to being on here often. 8)
3 x Pleco
2 x Blue Lobster
3 x Dianema Catfish
4 x Speckled Mollie
6 x Praecox Neon Rainbows
4 x Tiger Barbs
9 x Koi
11 x Common/Comet Goldfish
13 x Chinese Banded Loaches
14 x Fancy Goldfish
It's scary when you start to count them up isn't it?? LOL

antoon

Post by antoon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:24 am

Good day to all @ loaches on line ,well hi to all,
I'm new to this site so i do not know if i am in the right spot just signed up actually ,i am living in Carltonville South Africa. Two weeks ago i bought tank and my son in-law bought a 4 ft tank which had ten fish in it,,consisting of various species of chichlids and two loaches male & female it seems, i bought a tank and decided to keep the fish because he ( my son in-law ) did not want them can any one please help me with breeding habits and general care i am by the norm great cichlid fan but these two crawled into my hear and i do not want to get rid of them,
May our Father God bless all .
Antoon.

P.S. Feel free to email me at any time daddatony@gmail.com

Allyson

Post by Allyson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Hello. I am new here.Didn't know there was a loach forum. Advise please. I am about to "re-do" my tank. It has a year "off". There were 2 black widows left untill a while ago so now I am ready for a thorough "make over", new gravel etc. I have never been able to keep clown loach for very long-they always seemed to refuse to feed and just wither and die. I am aiming to do a mainly loach tank,starting off with just clowns to give them a best chance. So any advice about what I need to do will be gratefully recieved. I will set up the tank and leave to settle for a couple of weeks if that is best (I am impatient to get fish!!). Allyson.x

Little Bit

Post by Little Bit » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi! I'm Little Bit! I'm a broke college student who has a small fascination with loaches.....just a small one....

ceech1

Post by ceech1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi all,

Great site here :-) Lots of information :-)

I just got myself some VF Sewellia Lineolata yesterday, never seen them befre and i have many tanks and normal clown loach.

Will post a few snaps of my new fellas :-)

hypnoticmonki

Post by hypnoticmonki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi All

Excited to have found this site...looking forward to looking at the pictures and sharing stories :D

oldtrout

Post by oldtrout » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi,
Thanks for allowing me to join ur fantastic forum.
I do confess however I am totally besotted by loaches and spend hours watching them play.
I have 4 Yoyo loaches (although 2 of them I believe to b rostrata loaches thanks to the local fish shop grr) never mind thankfully they are happy with each other and play together so all good.
I have 4 clowns (did buy 6 but the lfs sold them with white spot and sadly I lost 2)
14 kuhli loaches also which I adore as well :)
I have them spread out in my 4 tanks but obviously with the individual groups kept together.
Thanks for having such an informative and interesting site.

Look forward to chatting and meeting crazy loaches owners like me ;)
Life isn't measured by how u live but of the love u gave & things u did.
I am addicted to loaches!
4 Clown loaches, 14 kuhli loaches, 2 yoyo loaches, 2 Rostrata loaches, & many more fish
95 gallon tank,
98 litre tank
60 litre tank

aussieJJDude

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:23 am

Hi,
I always loved loaches - since I first saw them in the LFS when I was 3, Now I am 15 - and when I first saw this site I was over the moon - so i had to join!
Currently, I have a 64g land hermit crab tank which housed 6 hermies - soon to be getting some more, my last purchases died due to the bad conditions in store, they were pity purchases - and I have a 1.5g pool inside the hermie tank which housed MTS and pond snails.
I also looking after my parents 65g corner tank for the past year well, currently in the tank we have:
30 guppies
8 BN - not including fry
1 Bueno Aires tetra
1 platy
and also:
3 Kuhli's (I think they are either P.semicincta or P.kuhlii)
1 clown loach
I know the tank isn't the best tank in the world, here are my reasons:
- Guppies breed like mad
- BN breed like rabbits (or rabbits breed like BN!)
- Once I had a overload of platy, thought I got rid of them all but looks like i missed one
- BA tetra has a habit of killing his own kind, 2 times I have introduced a shoal of his own kind to find him killing them
And what I plan to do:
- In the next week or so, planning to get rid of most of the guppies except 2 one eyed males that was attacked by some barbs (not tigers) that were aggressive
- If I can catch most of the large BN - not my mating pair or my fry - they will be gone too! Any suggestions how to get capture them?
Me and my dad was sucked into the "snail-infestation" problem and got a clown to help us! True, he did his job well, but now we stuck with a fish that will outgrow our tank! And, if our area wasn't a problem, I would totally give it to somebody that could look after him well, but alas, I seen people wanting clowns for the 30cm cubes! Also, my dad is worried by the idea of a snail infestation and isn't easily swayed, so reasoning with him is impossible! What can I do? I hoping of upgrading my kuhlii school soon, when I get rid of most of the guppies!
I would like to start fresh with this tank since i looking after it and would like to turn it into something like this:
4 - 6 angels (when one pairs, get rid of rest)
pair BN
8 Stripped Kuhlii (P. kuhlii or P.semicincta - whatever they are! :D )
6 Black Kuhlii (P. oblonga)
4 - 6 yoyos
What can I do about the clown though, would it be happy with shoaling with the yoyos? Or would it be better to get 3 more and let the clown live in the 65g? My parents believe that the tank is big enough for the clown and everytime I bring it up they get a bit defensive and say, "I been keeping fish long then you have!" or "Yep, that is why he is happy" (and hiding as soon as someone comes 2 metres of the tank!) I could pull my hair out, my parents don't want to upgrade nor want to get another tank and do a water bridge and they pretty much kill me if I somehow got rid of it! Garh, what can I do??? :(

(Sorry for my rant, but had to let it out!)
Aussie Crabs - All About Aussies!

64g - 5 LHC
65g - 15 guppies, 3 angelfish, Trio BN, 3 Kuhlis, Clown Loach, Buenos Aires, Neon, Platy

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just hermit's that I forgot I had planned to get

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:21 pm

You probably need to post this on the loach forum section instead of here. Many will probably not see it.

aussieJJDude

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Thank Jim and Will do! :)
Aussie Crabs - All About Aussies!

64g - 5 LHC
65g - 15 guppies, 3 angelfish, Trio BN, 3 Kuhlis, Clown Loach, Buenos Aires, Neon, Platy

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just hermit's that I forgot I had planned to get