World's smallest fish discovered in Sumatra

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

World's smallest fish discovered in Sumatra

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:42 am

Not a loach...

Researchers have found the smallest known fish on record in the peat swamps of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

Individuals of the Paedocypris genus can be just 7.9mm long at maturity, scientists write in a journal published by the UK's Royal Society.

But they warn long-term prospects for the fish are poor, because of rapid destruction of Indonesian peat swamps.

The fish have to survive in extreme habitats - pools of acid water in a tropical forest swamp.

Food is scarce but the Paedocypris - smaller than other fish by a few tenths of a millimetre - can sustain their small bodies grazing on plankton near the bottom of the water.

Human threat

To keep their size down, the fish have abandoned many of the attributes of adulthood - a characteristic hinted at in their name.

Their brain, for example, lacks bony protection and the females have room to carry just a few eggs.

The males have a little clasp underneath that might help them fertilize eggs individually.

Being so small, the fish can live through even extreme drought, by seeking refuge in the last puddles of the swamp; but they are now threatened by humans.

Widespread forest destruction, drainage of the peat swamps for palm oil plantations and persistent fires are destroying their habitat.

Science may have discovered Paedocypris just in time - but many of their miniature relatives may already have been wiped out.

Your vantage point determines what you can see.

sophie

Post by sophie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:53 pm

I read about this in the paper, all excited, this morning and OBVIOUSLY someone posted it first ;-)

but here's another picture:

sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:59 am

Yeah, i herd it on the radio last night. Nice to actually see a picture.

Cool!

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:46 am

Interesting situation this in terms of the consetrvation of the spp, habitat etc...
Such a find provides an international conservation interest in what was i'm sure an area/habitat of little social/aesthetic/economic interest, thus was a highly endangered habitat. Peat bogs/swamps are always a hard sell. This fish may provide some political gumption to their management and protection.

A problem may be now that this fish is famous and there is great interest in it, unscrupulous collectors for an industry which is often irresponsible may overcollect and further deplete this species. (note the word "often"... i'm implying no improper activites among the members of LOL and have been only impressed by related views expressed, ie: cave boita in Vietnam etc...)

Double edged sword.

I believe in the pets industry as a tool for conservation of biodiversity, as private collectors are often more dedicated and better funded then public universities and zoos, and particulary better then the often 3d world local governemnts/NGOs etc... usually tasked with protection of these habitats/species.

If these things show up on your supplier's lists
1) if they are protected and illegal in Sumatra or CITES, please report the collector/supplier.
2) becoming illegal in a place like Sumatra will likley be a long process subject to all sorts of pressures including logging and development interests. If they show up on the lists then the demand is there so collections WILL occur. As a dedicated collector you've got a couple of choices which may be arguably more or less envrionmnentally responsible: choose not to buy the fish and tell all collectors on all forums (fora?) to do the same or ... recognize that the habitat may be on it's way out, as will be the species (research being the key here). In this one may accept a reponsibility to maintain the genotype/biodiversity... and dedicate their fish husbandry knowledge to breeding and maintaining the animals ex-situ... with fingers crossed that the habitat may be saved/replaced in time. Thus the animal will still exist for re-introduction.

I still have my fingers crossed teh the giant gulliwas (large endemic lizard thought to be extinct due to mongoose predation) still exists in the underground pets industry somewhere.

Note my ongoing interest in stirring the pot and generating debate among bright and interested folk.... Please tell me if i'm right or wrong.

Andyroo
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:54 pm

Picture from the man Maurice Kottelat.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:16 pm

Sweet, Graeme. Are you in touch with him? I'm always very shy about writing to him. But he writes back most of the time.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:14 am

Yeah he's very approachable. Tom Halvorsen who imports some very nice and rare specimens has close contacts with him. I'm lucky enough to live near Tom. The Botia Kubotai was held here for Maurice.

Graeme.

Bagrus dude

Post by Bagrus dude » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:58 pm

So, Paedocypris isn't the world's smallest fish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4666736.stm

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Ahhh! :shock:

This 46mm (1.8 inches) female P. spiniceps has what looks like a small nub in the middle of her back. It is actually a 6.2mm (less than a quarter of an inch) long male, the world's smallest known, sexually mature vertebrate. (Image: T.WPietsch/UW)