Revisiting habitat of Gastromyzon sp. "SK02"

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:54 pm

thanks Hendra!
That will be very cool 8)

Hendra

Post by Hendra » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:15 pm

Martin and Shari, will try my best. :D

Jim, I don't know about this information but I (or yourself) can ask Michael Lo (Kuching is his nickname in petfrd forum), since he live near the habitat of G. ctenochephalus, ocellatus, and stellatus 8)

Btw, I rather doubt if what we as G. scitulus which exist in trade is really G. scitulus,

First, it came together with G. zebrinus meanwhile in Borneo Suckers book said it found together with G. ctenochephalus.

Two, not all of them (I mean Gastromyzon sp. cf. ctenochephalus/scitulus which came together with G. zebrinus) looks like G. scitulus (absent striking white blue spot on membrane of dorsal fin), but also can found some specimens whch tend to be G. ctenocephalus (striking white blue spot on membrane of dorsal fin) and there is in-between form too (only have several spots, or only half of its dorsal fin)

Three, G. scitulus is live together with G. crenastus and faragus which so far never seen in trade.:?:

So, what is your idea about this? :D
Last edited by Hendra on Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:24 pm

Yes Hendra, I've got ones with half blue spotted dorsals.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:27 pm

Hendra wrote:Nonn and friend really a good explorer and photographer, I can not compare with them since I just an amateur with pocket camera!!!!!
Hendra!!!! Your pics are amazing and you shouldn't put yourself down like that! :wink: I'm already looking forward to seeing more pics from your next adventure. :D

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Hendra

Post by Hendra » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:34 pm

I ever confuse to decide if my G. zebrinus is really zebrinus because I found it came together with Gastromyzon which tend to be G. scitulus (absent blue spots at dorsal fin), meanwhile G. zebrinus in its description is live together with G. ctenocephalus (have blue spots on dorsal fin)

About 3 weeks ago I bought 6 specimens of G. ctenocephalus together with 4 G. zebrinus.

When I see the new 6 G. ctenocephalus they dorsal fins have some variation from absent the spot, full spots, and half blue spots.

So, now I more confuse because of that :?: :?: :?:

Hendra

Post by Hendra » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Emma Turner wrote: Hendra!!!! Your pics are amazing and you shouldn't put yourself down like that! :wink: I'm already looking forward to seeing more pics from your next adventure. :D

Emma
Thanks Emma!! :D

Will share another in next trips.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:42 pm

I think I need to come and spend about a year going all over the place paddling and dipping a net :P

I wonder if such information is based on multiple catches or "well that's what we found at the location we got these from" type data? It's a very blanket statement.

Same as you Hendra can probably only get a small picture of actual distribution and species mix. It would take a LOT of sampling in theory to get a big picture of such.

You need some exercize right? :wink:

Hendra just PM'd me some info and pictures and my eyes came out on stalks. There are SO many amazing species!

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Interesting. I have two "scitulus" and will have to check their dorsals. Unfortunatley, they don't tend to raise them much.
One thing I have noticed is that the barbels (papillae) of my "scitulus" are much smaller than those of my ctenocephalus.
Another question. Is there any use for the odd snouts on such fish as SK02?
Thanks for the info.
Last edited by Jim Powers on Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:18 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Hendra just PM'd me some info and pictures and my eyes came out on stalks. There are SO many amazing species!
Sounds great!! 8)

Many thanks Hendra. :D