Dojo gravid or sick?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Lotus

Dojo gravid or sick?

Post by Lotus » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:47 pm

One of my dojos has developed a swelling around the pelvic fins. It almost looks like it swallowed a marble.

I did a search, but couldn't find pictures of a gravid dojo. If anyone could point me to one, or let me know if my description fits a gravid dojo or not, I'd appreciate it.

If it's not gravid, any ideas on what it could be? Perhaps an intestinal blockage? I don't see any redness or problems on the skin in that area. If it is some kind of disease, any ideas on treatment? The loach is swimming and acting normally.

I have two dojo loaches, about 2 or 3 years old. Tank is well established, with zero ammonia and nitrites, pH around 7.2, nitrates at 5ppm. Weekly water changes. They get flake twice a day and bloodworms a couple of times a week, and the occasional shrimp pellet.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:53 pm

Sexual dimorphism can help here. Front ray of pectoral fin in male is larger. Resulting in a triangular shaped fin and the ability of the male to "stand" on them. Female's pectoral fin is rounder. Which does yours hold?

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:09 pm

I guess this isn't the answer I wanted to have to give, as it looks like it's a male. The first ray does look longer, and I just saw him resting on them.

So, any ideas on what this could be? Should I withold food for a few days to see if it's an intestinal blockage? To be honest, I'm not familiar enough with how a fish this shape is put together internally, but I guess if the anal fin is further down the body, the intestines are in that area. Can anyone confirm?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:28 am

Lotus, is there any way you can provide a photograph? Pictures often help to convey things better, particularly when diagnosing problems.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:33 pm

Here's a pic of him. The black thing is a reflection of a phone, it's not in the tank.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks for posting the pic, Lotus. How quickly did this bulge appear? weeks, months etc?

Emma

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:18 pm

I'm thinking 'spinal' damage and possible other internal problems with their weather 'activity's and such. :?

Anyone else?

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:25 pm

As far as I know, it appeared within the last week or so. I just noticed it yesterday, but I don't think it has been there for weeks or months, more like days.

As for spinal injury, I guess it's possible. He is swimming fine, and doesn't seem to have a problem bending at all. He's eating fine, too.

Is it possible it's some kind of swim bladder or organ infection in the "air" cavity they have (don't know what it's called)? Is that where that is on a dojo?

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm open to any suggestions.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Could be some sort of internal blockage? Flake is not an ideal food for them - if I were you I'd try getting a few different types of frozen foods (mosquito larvae, brineshrimp, daphnia, mysis etc) and feed him just on these for a while to see if it clears.

Emma

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

I'll try frozen only for a week, and see if it helps. I have frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. I'll use the brine shrimp, as I hear that bloodworms can cause constipation. Unfortunately, there's no live food available where I am.

While there have been no new fish added in more than 6 months, is it a possibility that it could be an internal parasite?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Internal blockage. Internal Growth on a organ may be possible. :?

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:02 pm

Thanks for the help. I had considered some kind of growth/tumor, but the swelling is completely symmetrical. Of course, that doesn't rule it out.

I'll see what happens in a week, or post if there's any change in the meantime. At least he doesn't seem to be in any distress so far.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:27 pm

Lotus wrote: While there have been no new fish added in more than 6 months, is it a possibility that it could be an internal parasite?
Yes, in principle. A tapeworm may live for a very long time, slowly growing. (But your picture really does not look like it.)

Some people recommend feeding peas to clear a blockage.

Whatever this is, it is probably not a loach-specific problem. You may get some help by posting the picture in the emergency section of a large-traffic forum, like www.tropicalfish.net.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:29 pm

Does it bulge equally on both sides? Is it directly in front of his vent? Frequently for blockages peeled, cooked peas are recommended. Moves things along... 8)

Also, it sounds like it has developed rather quickly. If it continues to expand it will become a serious problem. If it's food related, it would be best to avoid feeding for a couple of days, then try the peas, then withold food another couple of days. If you see that the bulge is still expanding, even without feeding, then it is less likely to be a food related bulge and tumors/parasites or other causes should be investigated.