Hand Feeding a clown loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

DRLashambe

Hand Feeding a clown loach?

Post by DRLashambe » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:32 pm

In recent months, if anyone recalls, my Alpha clown loach was blinded by a heat problem in my big clown tank. We removed him, treated him for the fungus that had arisen from all of his scratches (and the possible re-cycling of the tank), and all was well. He had a recent outbreak of Ich, and it was off to the 10 gallon hospital tank again. While he was there, my wife noticed that he would beg at the top of the tank for food.

All's well, and he's returned to the 90 gallon, but now my wife can bring him to the top of the tank by walking by, or by tapping one of his sinking pellets on the top of the tank. He catches the sinking pellet before it gets below him, and he's getting better at it.

Anyone tried to get clowns to eat from their fingers? Any luck with that?

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:44 pm

Ya mean like this ;)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm

Lovely picture! :D

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:35 pm

I think we need this pic #2 somewhere on the new site. I've always thought it was terrific. Something about the way he's just resting on the loose fingers really screams trust and care to me...

It's a terrific shot Shari (and I don't care how many times I type it, that STILL cracks me up! ;-))
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

FarrinDrell

Post by FarrinDrell » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:22 pm

hope ya dont mind me asking what are the other fish in the tank? :?: :?:

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:07 pm

What is the green fish behind the severum in pic 1 and off to the right in pic 2.

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:12 pm

That is absolutely precious.
You've definitely earned the trust of that clown!
My dojo Hoakey used to do that, and liked getting his dorsal fin and body pet. I tried not to do it often and did it more as a treat, I was scared of wiping off some of the slime from his body. :lol: RIP Hoakey!

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:32 am

Thanks Everyone :)

Shari, I know just how ya feel. Typing your own name is strange ;)

Don't mind any questions, honestly.....

First off, it's not a Severum, it's just a huge Mesonauta festivum. I've had home tank tours with my Aquatic Society and been told he's the biggest Festivum anyone has seen :shock:

The "green" fish, is actually blue. The flash washes out his color :? It's a Blue Demspey. I've had him since he was a little 2" cutie, over 2 years, now :)

Other then them, I have the big Angel (moving to an Angel tank) Congo Tetras, a kubotai, 2 Yoyos, 3 SAE, and the other clowns :)

DRLashambe

Post by DRLashambe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:04 pm

Amazing Photos! What a big clown. After seeing this, my wife and I have a new goal.

Dave_2133

Post by Dave_2133 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:44 pm

Cracking pic mate. It'll be nice if mine came out of the cave, never mind eat out of my hand. How big is the clown? he looks a good 8" or so.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:47 pm

Just yesterday my largest clown (nowhere near as big as Albert...) decided he'd eat bloodworm out of my hand. It was actually kinda scary. :?

Lots of loud clicking that sounded more like rock knocking on wood, and very nippy! Then the little guys tried to get in there and I had little bites all over my fingers. The ring finger somehow ended up hanging into the water a bit and the big clown thought it was a giant worm or something and tried to suck it off my hand!

Sheesh. :roll:

They are getting mighty bold in their too little tank...
books. gotta love em!

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:56 pm

Albert is about 10" or so....but VERY Gentle. I'm suprised at your's Shari. I've never been "biten", but Albert will suck on my fingertips and nuzzle my hands looking for more Bloodworms :D

Did you at least get to feel them? Feels like Velvet to me :!:

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:49 pm

Basically just the 'front end' ...you know, the end with the teeth? :roll: OK. so they may not have teeth, but there is something sharp and scratchy in there. Now I know how they get those snails out of their shells, and carry rocks around, and scar each other when they're scrapping...

Though they are out and about more they are hardly what I'd call 'relaxed' which is what Albert sounds more like to me. Probably will take a bigger tank to get to that point. We'll see. 8)
books. gotta love em!

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 pm

Laid back would be appropriate ;)

I need to figure out how to get a pic of him watching TV with me :lol: The Recliner is next to the "feeding" corner, and before dinner time he will sit there with me. He's fairly patient until I get up and move around :roll:

OH, and I got some of the FEED ME NOW pics with him in it...gotta get them on the net for ya........

DRLashambe

Post by DRLashambe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Looking forward to the pics. How old would Albert be?

Do you think he's so brave because of his size, or is he just really hungry?