Free mutant freak loaches anyone?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:20 pm

mikev wrote:
Do observe that if these guys are indeed a cross, then it is probably a cross between two different genus' (clowns with some Botia's) which also undermines the current classification.

That's not necessarily true. The general rule is that hybridization can occur between animals of the same genus only. However, that is not always the case. It can occur in animals of closely related genera.
Case in point, you can cross a Llama (lama glama) with a Dromedary camel (Camelus dromedarius) and get a hybrid called (you guessed it) a Cama. That's only one example.

And Martin, I would love to see you get these fish. I must admit, I too am very curious what they will grow up to be.
Last edited by Jim Powers on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:04 pm

Very-very interesting. I did not know about Histrionica's.

As for the cross-genera hybrids: one way to see it is that the exceptions (and indeed there are many) are simply deficiencies in the classification... but this is not something worth a fight about, especially that in the angelfish' loach case we don't even know if they are sterile or not.
What is more interesting is *if these are the hybrids* is there any way to find out just what they are? (It would seem to me that whoever managed to produce the hybrids would be bragging about it).
OK, let's hope one day more will be known...

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:42 am

Hey folks havent logged on for awhile :)

Martin that was hilarious "I know a kindly older gentleman..."

Brilliant.

Once I get them sorted out I will definitely consider you the best choice for a home. I have to make sure Im giving you a totally clean group of fish though so I'll have to treat them first. also, one of them has a problem with his barbels which Im going to make a seperate post about but I was talking with Emma about it--- she said to get pictures... got em... going to make new thread... moving on

They are growing like 'munga beans'. (whatever that is) they are in a couple of cases nearly double what I bought them at. They grow noticeably after a water change- like over night. Some of them are as tall now as a full grown clown loach which is just wweeeeirddd. Too fast to give a shot of anything but an orange blob... They're just such a-holes. They bite things for fun, dont let anything else eat near them... they're just evil... and the constant fighting and biting... ugh...

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:15 am

Thought that would give you a laugh :wink:

Yeah, I'll take them. I'm kind of intrigued how they're going to turn out. I can see if they settle down their temperament somewhat....and naturally I'd like them "clean".

When you look at them it's difficult to work out why they should be badasses because it's not obvious that there's any parentage there that would account for it.

Ve vill see.............

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:24 am

When you look at them it's difficult to work out why they should be badasses because it's not obvious that there's any parentage there that would account for it.

Thats what is screwing with my brain at the moment...

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:56 am

Just curious Mikev, are you for or against crosses ? or indifferent ? personally i abhor it ! though a good friend of mine , who collects Synos , will keep both true fish and hybrids , so i guess its different strokes for different folks .

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:46 am

angelfish83 wrote:
They are growing like 'munga beans'. (whatever that is) they are in a couple of cases nearly double what I bought them at. They grow noticeably after a water change- like over night. Some of them are as tall now as a full grown clown loach which is just wweeeeirddd. Too fast to give a shot of anything but an orange blob... They're just such a-holes. They bite things for fun, dont let anything else eat near them... they're just evil... and the constant fighting and biting... ugh...
Hybrid vigor, perhaps?
I just watched a show on National Geographic Channel about the big cats. They showed a liger (lion/tiger hybrid) that was HUGE. It was about 900lbs!! Thats twice what a normal lion or tiger would weigh.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:57 am

900 lbs! Thats a big cat! I have heard of Ligers before, but I didnt know they got that big.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:32 am

That's no BS. They're well known to be a bit on the large size :?

Imagine feeding this :shock:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:38 am

That's the cat I saw. Imagine what it would do to her head if it wanted to. :shock:

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:52 pm

Very impressive :shock:

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:54 pm

piggy4 wrote:Just curious Mikev, are you for or against crosses ?
Neither. I only want them to be properly labeled.

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:56 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:That's no BS. They're well known to be a bit on the large size :?

Imagine feeding this :shock:

Martin.
I thought that's why the american imperialist boobs were standing with it...?
It appears to be checking one for correct seasoning.

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:55 pm

:lol: !! That is one massive animal... I thought it was all just a giggle from Napoleon Dynamite.

It's too bad those loaches are really saucy, angelfish.
You might have a new breed of loach on your hands!
They almost sound like mutants- growing overnight after water changes? :shock: Wow. That's insane.
Whoever ends up keeping these guys, I hope there'll be updates.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:49 pm

angelfire83 wrote:
I thought that's why the american imperialist boobs were standing with it...?
It appears to be checking one for correct seasoning.
Kind of biggoted don't you think? :roll: