Retiring my old river tank and New River tank plans.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chefkeith

Retiring my old river tank and New River tank plans.

Post by chefkeith » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:32 pm

I think my loach river tank has reached it's expiration date. I built this tank about 3 years ago . Today I noticed that one of the corner seams was starting to craze. Upon further inspection, up where the water bridge was sitting I noticed that thre entire top seam gave away from the perimeter bracing. This side was bowing out about 1/4".

This tank never leaked, but it was built rather cheaply out of 1/4" acrylic. It's a 90 gallon tank and I built it for just $100. When I built it I never planned on it being part of a intricate water-bridge system. This is the clown loaches favorite tank, but it is a weak link. I probably could repair it, but I think I could build something better in the given space.

I'll need a few days to think about this.

A funny thing happened as I was emptying the river tank. My fattest clown loach miraculously jumped from the 95g tank through the empty water bridge into the near empty river tank. (She must of took flying lessons from Martin’s “Air Loach”) There was just a thin layer of water just above the sand and the clown was flopping around like mad for a few seconds until I grabbed a net and put her in a tank on the other side of the room. I hope she’ll be OK. She is my biggest and bravest clown loach, but she is a real pig though. Just to be on the safe side, I removed the water-bridge completely so this doesn't happen again. One good thing is I found more Bristlenose and Boesemani fry.

I love this aquarium, but I might be saying goodbye to her-
Last edited by chefkeith on Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Very cool tank. Good that you noticed it was going before you had a blow out or major leak going. 8)

Can't wait to see the new incarnation!
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:06 pm

Better safe than sorry!

We're interested in what your replacement project may involve.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:16 pm

Better safe than saturated! :wink:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:21 am

My initial idea is to build a segmented style tank like this-

but the center would be made with rock work and caves instead of a single partition.

I am also thinking about eliminating some my of snail/shrimp tanks.
IMO, raising snails/shrimp is more work than it's worth. I'll keep atleast 1 snail/shimjp tank though.

It's amazing how quickly my plans have changes in the last 24 hours. I had my mind all set on adding an RO Auto Top Off system for my main tanks, but that plan will have to wait now.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:53 pm

It certainly looks interesting. How would you use the filtration systems?

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:35 am

I'd just use my current filtration system, which is a multitude of canister filters and powerhead filters. I have the maintenance of these filters down to science. For the canisters I added a bypass valve that allows me to back-flush them with my Wet/Dry Shop-Vac.

I think the keys to getting good unilateral flow is to have a tank with rounded corners and a barrier or island in the center to remove any cross currents. Then just point all the filter/powerhead outlets in a clockwise direction (or counter clockwise).
So far my dream idea is to build a square tank with a front viewing window. Then wrap some acrylic in the corners to round them out. Maybe the inside of the corners can be used for isolating fry, snails, shrimp.

Inside the island is where the loaches would sleep/rest and on top of the island I could have some plants growing.
I'm thinking I'd make the island out of PVC pipes, foam, Bondo, and Epoxy paint. (The island would be made in 4 - 2ft sections that link together with magnets so that they can easily be removed).
So essentially the island will be one massive cave that I think the loaches would really appreciate.

This style tank will turn the back part into a blind spot, but it will also add some benefits, such as a place to hide the filters, heaters, airstones.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:37 am

It certainly looks one big impressive project! 8)

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:58 am

wow. looking a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good luck!

david

wow

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:15 pm

Nothing new under the sun.....

http://aquaweb.pair.com/forums/archives ... eview=1407

.....this is just more refined :P

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:54 pm

For years I've been thinking about this design from the carnival game-

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:47 pm

I can't get a 10' sheet of acyric, so I'll be making the same tank, but 8ft long instead.

Here's a new drawing-

Another idea I'm having is to have a water-bridge going into the island/caves.

Another Drawing

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:50 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Nothing new under the sun.....

http://aquaweb.pair.com/forums/archives ... eview=1407

.....this is just more refined :P

Martin.

oh well but i can tell it's going to be great. :)

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:44 pm

Sorry I haven't kept this thread up to date-
If anyone is interested, I have been logging my progress in a DIY thread for the last few months at another forum (Click Here) .
Currently, the island is under construction-

I still have lot's of foam to add and to carve, then that will be painted with colored cements.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let everyone know that my new river tank project is about 1/2 way done now. I'll update again when the island is finished.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Very, very cool! Just read through the other thread (all 7 pages!) Amazing amount of planning in a venture this size. And yes, I agree. The artistic part is the funnest. Take your time and enjoy it after all the nuts and bolts-ing that have gone on so far, and that which is yet to come. 8)

Definitely want to see more. . .
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com