Hello, and a few (very) beginner questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

plecoperson

Hello, and a few (very) beginner questions

Post by plecoperson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:24 pm

Hello to everyone-

I've been haunting this site for a while now trying to sop up knowledge and get my loach fix without buying fistfuls. I just got 6 Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki on the 9th, and have had a Acantopsis choirorhynchus for several months. On to my questions--

The new sidthimunki were lost by the USPS for a day, and so in the box for 48 hours. They arrived thin. They seem to be accepting microworms and chopped freeze-dried tubifex to a degree, but still have flat bellies. Is there anything in particular I should try?

Thinness aside, I wonder also if I should treat these fish for internal parasites; they came from Frank's Aquarium but they were pretty newly in and likely not fully treated there. I do have some Levamisole here if treatment is recommended and that medication is appropriate.

Lastly, I hear faint clicks from the 55 where the horseface is, and now I hear clicks in the quarantine tank where the chain loaches are. Do either/both of these species click, or should I study my impellers?

Thank you in advance.
-Lisa

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Partial answer:

Frank's policy is to treat all loaches with Levamisole and administers the 1st round of treatment the day they arrive. While I'd normally use Levamisole on all incoming fish, I now exempt Frank's. Still: Levimisole is certainly appropriate and safe, so no harm if you repeat the treatment. Nearly certainly, no use either.

hth

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Both Click in there own ways. Normally the Horseface will give off sounds with substrate movement, especially with gravel. Y sidthimunki may click like many other similar loach species, although never as loud as other larger species.

plecoperson

Post by plecoperson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:39 pm

Thank you for the quick replies-I will skip the Levamisole treatment and leave my impellers alone-- :)

I'm very happy with Frank's-he is a nice guy, cares about his animals and carries some very interesting fish.
-Lisa