Forcefeeding Confuzonas

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mikev

Forcefeeding Confuzonas

Post by mikev » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:08 pm

Hopefully of use to someone.

When I got confuzonas 10 days ago, I was concerned that some may refuse to eat -- this is a recurrent problem with hillstreams and from what I heard particularly common with Confuzonas. Expecting trouble ahead, I decided to be proactive and prepared the tank accordingly. (I never had a non-eating or any Confuzona myself, but I did have a non-eating Gastro, which got progressively weaker and died in a few weeks...this was the scenario i was trying to avoid.)

The base ideas were (1) that Confuzonas, like some other lizards, have a snapping reflex: they will grab food that is thrown into their faces; and (2) that once the fish starts eating, it will continue doing so -- like if a block in the digestive system has been removed. Both ideas got confirmed experimentally.

In preparation, I set up a 10g q-tank so that the current will force the food float close to the ground in a particular area of the tank.

I gave the fish three days to figure out eating on their own; after 3 days I had 3 eating and 3 non-eating. The non-eating animals were sitting on the tank walls paying no attention to the food being given. They looked like candidates for starving, Confuzonas are unable to grab food while hanging to the glass.

For the next four days the morning feeding was done as follows: put large amount of frozen brine shrimp into the tank and chase the non-eating fish into the designated area, chase it back if it escapes. Once in designated area, with pieces of shrimp floating into its face, it would snap on them.

This worked out beautifully. #4 fish took only one chase; #5 was eating on the 3rd day, and the last one on the 4th. :D

It took only one *successful* forced feeding per fish. For every one of them, eating a little frozen shrimp one time guaranteed that they will continue eating on their own and within a couple of days, they all started eating other food :D Most of them now go into feeding frenzy on *any* food; they would run around the tank trying to find food, and they now even dig a little and suck on filter intake trying to find small food fragments.

For all fish, even those who started eating themselves, frozen shrimp was the "opening food".

Incidentally, here is what they eat now (in approximate order of pref.):
Frozen Brine Shrimp
Frozen Bloodworms, White Mosquito Larvae, Tubifex worms.
Small flakes
Algae Wafers, Mixed Veggie Wafers, Carnivour Sinking Pellets

The only food that is rejected so far is large flakes, they scare them (?!)....

Any other food that is worth trying on them?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:38 pm

In addition to some of the foods you've suggested, our H. confuzona at the shop seem to really enjoy daphnia. :wink: With the smaller foods, a lot more tends to float past them and sends them into a feeding frenzy.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:03 pm

Thanks Emma,

Will certainly try it.

nuvolari

Post by nuvolari » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:34 am

Hi guys and girls!

Mikev I have also got 5 of these guys and I have not had any trouble feeding then at all. They dont seem to eat though but I know there fine cause they been in my care for over a month now.

I feed them a block of Hikari brineshrimp in the morning and a block of bloodworms in the evening. there going great guns with my other loaches. 6 smithis and 8 Sids.

I will have to get an up dated photo of the tank.

One guy of the confuzona seems to always go black at feeding time and the others keep there normal color. Weird

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:44 pm

It's be good to see 'before' and 'after' pics of the colour-changing H. confuzona. :wink:

Emma

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:47 pm

nuvolari wrote: Mikev I have also got 5 of these guys and I have not had any trouble feeding then at all. They dont seem to eat though but I know there fine cause they been in my care for over a month now.
The hillstream that never ate (G.Ocellatus) here lasted a little over two months. I suspect that even non-eating fish gets some food somehow (grazing on algae?), but unless I see it feed actively, I'd feel worried. Fortunately, with lizards, one can have the snapping to play with. How to deal with non-eating suckers I still don't understand.
One guy of the confuzona seems to always go black at feeding time and the others keep there normal color. Weird
Huh? Sorry, don't understand.

Mine all seem to be of different colors, some reddish hue, one even a little of gold hue, a couple are gray, with markings barely visible: this is how I knew who was eating.

Are you saying that Smithi's can feed in the presence of Sids?
(My remaining worry is if the Confuzonas will feed in the presence of Danios....)

nuvolari

Post by nuvolari » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:41 pm

I know the confuzona are now eating because as soon as the food goes in they go on the prowl. Grazing off the floor and off the rocks and wood. Because of the water flow you dont oftern see them actually eat food but you see then flick around chasing it.

The smithis and the sids are getting on well there are fights between the smithis and the confuzona though.

As with the color issue they are all of the redy goldern hue but one went dark black last week cling to the long in the tank. Almost missed him on the underside till he started searching for food.

I will be putting in some nori paper to see if they will graze off this plat material. It has worked for my L# catfish and works well on the Yellow Tangs that are in at the shop that I work at so got to give in the loach try!

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:51 pm

Just tried daphnia on them.

It sent them into a frenzy all right, one was even jumping out of the water, checking the glass above the water line. :D
Seems like another good first food choice.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:35 pm

That's great news, I knew it would send them nuts! :wink:

Emma

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Keep up the research, Mikev. :wink: In my case i've lost 7 out of 12. Mainly because they where beyond repair, even after Levamisole treatment. :cry:

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:16 pm

This whole thread has been very interesting. I'll have to keep this in mind in case I ever find those cool fish again. :cry:

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:58 pm

Jim Powers wrote:This whole thread has been very interesting. I'll have to keep this in mind in case I ever find those cool fish again. :cry:
Thanks, Jim.

In case you want them: Frank still has some.
Graeme wrote:Keep up the research, Mikev. In my case i've lost 7 out of 12. Mainly because they where beyond repair, even after Levamisole treatment.
Sorry to hear this. I lost two out of 8: one DOA in the bag, one more within the first 24 hours. But I think they were in a pretty good shape to start with... (I am beginning to think that even with hillstreams in good shape some initial losses are unavoidable....:cry: ) The remaining six seem to be doing fine, and I think I see sticking out belly on a couple.

Yours, btw, looks great and quite differently from mine.

On a side note: just to see who likes and who does not, I tried Daphnia on some other inmates here.
Definite liking:
* Aborychthys(not a big deal, these eat anything)
* Rosies (ditto)
* Crossostoma (ditto)
* S.Poculi (not really hysterical, but interested).
* Hara (well, not a loach, but serious excitement).
Possible liking:
* Vanmanenia (one went crazy, the rest did not react at all).
Zero Interest:
* Chenis, Gastros, Beaufortia.
Strange:
* Sewellia (made some of them run around, but I don't understand how they can eat it.)

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:00 pm

Confuzona seems to be progressing just fine. I see some sticking out bellies now :D

--------

I've been experimenting with different food and hillstreams a little and need some help...

It seems that Beaufortia's and Sewellia's -- at least some -- are pretty enthusiastic about frozen brine shrimp too. If I manage to drop a piece to the bottom, some fish is certain to jump on it and do a happy eating dance. The problem is that within 3-5 seconds of this dance the shrimp chunk will totally break apart and float away, and most of the shrimp will end up being eaten by the dither.

Is there a trick here? Or, perhaps, there is a brand of shrimp that is already "glued" together long enough for the fish to eat?

(The fish in question is not starving, but I see much more enthusiasm for shrimp than for wafers, so I'd like to be able to deliver it.)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:15 pm

I put brine shrimp (Hikari frozen/w spirulina pre-thawed) on the bottom in a sheltered area using my feeding tube method. There is still some that float away, but it works well. The L. disparis and gastros seem to particularly love the stuff.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:30 pm

Thanks, Jim,

I'll get & try your brand (maybe it is spirulina that holds it together?) on all.