How old is your oldest Loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

How old is your oldest Loach?

6mo - 1yr
7%
1yr - 3yrs
30%
5yrs - 10yrs
39%
More then 10years
14%
even more!
9%
What's a loach?
No votes

Total votes: 56

Jim Powers

Re: How old is your oldest Loach?

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:05 pm

I have a Beaufortia and a Sinogastromyzon wui, that are at least 10 years old. I have had them that long and they were fully grown in the 2.5" range when I got them, so who knows how old they truly are.
I also have a Gastromyzon ctenocephalus and a Gastromyzon ocellatus that were about 1.5" long when I got them 8 1/2 years ago.
I also have one lone Schistura beavani that is about 9 years old.

greenbaron

Post by greenbaron » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:08 am

I've had my clowns 22 years in my current home, moved them from a house I rented for 2 years, and to there I moved them from another house I lived in for 5 years - I can't remember exactly when I got them while living in that first house, so they are at least 24 + however long I had them in the first house. The good part is, they look fabulous, like they are not slowing down at all!

agathokles

Post by agathokles » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:00 pm

This appears to be an old thread, but I'm a new forum member.

I have three Clown Loaches that I bought 20 years ago. They survived the move to another house, too. They show no signs of old age.

== Jim

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 am

I got my first two clown loaches sometime early in 1994. They are still alive today. I may even have some VHS videos of them. The interesting thing is that they are much smaller than one clown loach I got a few years after them. In august 2009 I got 5 baby clown loaches that are almost as large as my oldest loaches are today. With the exception of one (the largest) however, all my loaches were bought when they were frail looking younglins that were about 1.5 inches Mouth to tail length.

Now, I am worried they may out live me because they are still very lively and I am not :wink:
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

kompolina

Re:

Post by kompolina » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am

This theme is incentive! I wish your fishes well and long life!
loachaholic wrote:I still have my original kuhli loach. He's well over 20 years old and although he's showing his age (faded colors, no more loachy dance), he still eats heartily and sunbathes on his favorite plant.
loachaholic, could you please specify what size is your kuhli now (how long is he) and the conditions he lives in?

Me and my Russian colleagues begging for photo of the kuhli! We want to see this long-lived hero! :oops:
Jim Powers wrote:I have a Beaufortia and a Sinogastromyzon wui, that are at least 10 years old.
I also have a Gastromyzon ctenocephalus and a Gastromyzon ocellatus that were about 1.5" long when I got them 8 1/2 years ago.
I also have one lone Schistura beavani that is about 9 years old.
Jim Powers, one man told me that stream leaches don't usually live for a long time. But now I see he was wrong! And that's great!
Could you please specify your tank conditions?
100l tank: Pangio kuhli 2m + 1f, Pangio pangia 4, Sewellia lineolata 3, Colisa lalia 1m + 2f, Colisa sota 4, SAE 2; Neritinae 1, Antenome helena 4.

Sorry for my English. Pointing out the mistakes is welcome.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 am

We, all thought that they didn't live that long when we first started keeping them.
I keep them in tanks with lots of flow, good oxygenation, and do weekly water changes.The temperatures are around 75F (24C) They get a wide variety of pelleted and frozen foods as well as the occasional blanched spinach leaves.

kompolina

Post by kompolina » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Subject: How old is your oldest Loach?
Jim Powers wrote:We, all thought that they didn't live that long when we first started keeping them.
I keep them in tanks with lots of flow, good oxygenation, and do weekly water changes.The temperatures are around 75F (24C) They get a wide variety of pelleted and frozen foods as well as the occasional blanched spinach leaves.
Thanks a lot!
I've got few clarification questions, if you don't mind.

What are your tank dimensions and what pump do you use in it (one tank for example). I want to weigh up the kind of water flow. Do you use additional compressor or there is only a flow (by a pump)? Haw much water do you change in this example tank? Is there some plants? And is there fouling on the stones?
And have hillstream loaches any neighbors in the tanks?

Sorry for so much questioning! :) I'm really impressed with your experience!

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:54 pm

This is fantastic! To find others with fish this old and older is like finding the rest of my tribe after being lost in the wilderness.

Thanks for posting. So I resuscitated an old thread? The posts above prove it is a current thread.

Is there a greater accomplishment in our hobby?

Moderator - This thread should be a sticky as it celebrates our accomplishment.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 pm

komopolina wrote:
I've got few clarification questions, if you don't mind.

What are your tank dimensions 29 US gallons and what pump do you use in it see below(one tank for example). I want to weigh up the kind of water flow. Do you use additional compressor or there is only a flow (by a pump)? The flow is produced by one powerhead (300gph) and one Emperor Filter (280gph) Haw much water do you change in this example tank? Maybe 15% Is there some plants? Yes, there are lots of java fernAnd is there fouling on the stones?Sorry, I don't know what that means
And have hillstream loaches any neighbors in the tanks? Yes, there are danios, chelas, and white clouds as well as tiger shrimp

Sorry for so much questioning!No problem!:) I'm really impressed with your experience!Thanks!

I hope this helps. This is just one of my two hillstream tanks.
The tank also has several airstones and a UV sterilizer.

kompolina

Post by kompolina » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Jim Powers, Thanks! :)
About my one strange question: I meant green algae on stones. :oops:
Wow! I didn't know that Danios felt OK with such a flow! :) Thank you much for sharing! :D :!:
Good luck!!
100l tank: Pangio kuhli 2m + 1f, Pangio pangia 4, Sewellia lineolata 3, Colisa lalia 1m + 2f, Colisa sota 4, SAE 2; Neritinae 1, Antenome helena 4.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:08 pm

There is some algae on the rocks but the fish keep them fairly clean.
There are also some sheltered areas from the current so the danios, chelas, and white clouds can get out of the flow when they want.