How old is your oldest Loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

6mo - 1yr
7%
1yr - 3yrs
30%
5yrs - 10yrs
39%
More then 10years
14%
even more!
9%
What's a loach?
No votes

Total votes: 56

JD

Post by JD » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:21 am

I know the board is about 9 years old, we hashed that out in a recent thread. So with that in mind, I assume that most of the participants started with loaches around then. But I do know there are a few or you out there who were into loaches well before that. JL and I for example were talking loaches for a couple years before this board started. HELL JL, I have know you for more then a decade!!! Anyway, based on a curiosity that Azmeaiel started, I thought I'd create my first poll.

My 35gal hex has had "the cronies," a Yoyo and clown, in there since at least '95. Hell there was an Otto cat in that tank for at least 7 years! That was the fish that amazed me. He disappeared in the plants for 2 or 3yrs and I was very surprised when I saw him. I have a histrionica, rostrata, and dario that are probably more then 7 years old.

JL has talked about clowns in California, that he knows are around 40 years old. I Think JL would be one of the guys with the biggest fish tails, but he, like many others, may have sold their old fish in the past. So this is not as much a poll to estimate the longevity of loaches as it is to see how long your guys have had yours.

So how old is your crony?

JD

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:26 am

Ok, I sort of "cheated" ;)

I choose 10 yrs or older because I do have a 15 year old Clown Loach. However, I've only had him for a year or so.....does that count ;)

Other then that, I have 5 Clowns that I've had for close to 4 years, now, so they would be the ones I've HAD longest :)

loachaholic

Post by loachaholic » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:05 pm

I still have my original kuhli loach. He's well over 20 years old and although he's showing his age (faded colors, no more loachy dance), he still eats heartily and sunbathes on his favorite plant.

I hope I'm in a good shape when I reach the equivalent of his age.....

JD

Post by JD » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:06 pm

Mamaschild, that's not cheating, you kow her age and that's cool having a FISH that long. I mean people think of Dogs and Cats living 10-20 years, but rarely think of a fish that way.

Loachaholic, a 20 year old Kuhli!! Very cool. I wouldn't have thoug it possiable.

JD

Demon Yoyoloach

Post by Demon Yoyoloach » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:15 pm

I've had my nigrolineatas for 7 years now but they were fully grown when I got them, so I have no idea how old they really are.

TheDeadKnow

Post by TheDeadKnow » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:53 pm

We have two yoyos at work that are at least four years old.

And they now have four more buddies to smack around. Go PetsMart, marking down said loaches to a little over a buck a piece. :P
And remember that the dead know but one thing: it is better to be alive.

Dr. Momfish

Post by Dr. Momfish » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:34 am

the two oldest ones (and they all live with martin now) were purchased in december 1996 when they were about 2 inches, maybe 2.5 inches long. i suppose they are at least 10 years old now.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:39 pm

The oldest Clown I've owned since she was little is coming up for 14 years. But she must be slightly older than this, as she was already around 2" when I bought her. I have many others who are between 10 and 13 years, and also the 2 giants that I acquired last year that I believe are likely to be older than 14, due to their relative size.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Baz Bluck

Post by Baz Bluck » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:09 pm

The most surprising thing from all of this to me is that you can buy Yoyos for just over a buck a piece, over here I have been offered 6 yo yos for £60
Baz

redshark1

Re: How old is your oldest Loach?

Post by redshark1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Please pass me a comment if you read this, thanks.

Just took some pics of some of my six Clowns in my 6ft x 18" x 18" carefully planned community.

I bought all six (2f 6" and 4m 4.5") 15 years ago and they get on great with everybody.

I know I don't have everything perfect (I have algae and my new Bristlenose is making a start on it!) and when I bought them I didn't know that much, but things have worked out well because I've put the effort in.

6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Lambi

Post by Lambi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Fair play to you mate, iv only had fish for a year and iv learnt plenty in such a short space of time! I'm loving it as a hobby, I find them so entertaining and enjoy carryingn out the routine maintenance, weirdly I find it very relaxing and rewarding. If you start slacking, it dosent take long to see a drop in conditionsl of your tank!

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Thanks for digging up this old thread. I had never heard of a 20 year old kuhli before!
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 pm

palaeodave wrote:Thanks for digging up this old thread. I had never heard of a 20 year old kuhli before!
Yes - I may just have been inspired to get some! :D

sarahrah89

Post by sarahrah89 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:32 pm

When I was a kid we had a 15+ year old Pakistani (Yo-yo?) loach once. Which Im suprised about because my mom doesnt take very good care of her tank. He died shortly after a large Molly/Platy ich outburst. I think the fizz-discs killed him because he didnt have scales.

FAILED

Re:

Post by FAILED » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Emma Turner wrote:The oldest Clown I've owned since she was little is coming up for 14 years. But she must be slightly older than this, as she was already around 2" when I bought her. I have many others who are between 10 and 13 years, and also the 2 giants that I acquired last year that I believe are likely to be older than 14, due to their relative size.

Emma
Would love to know the size of these beauties please :mrgreen: