"breeding clowns' article, any truth?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Azmeaiel

"breeding clowns' article, any truth?

Post by Azmeaiel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:31 pm

I found this article about a supposed clown loach span in a home aquarium. Any truth?

http://www.clownloach.info/breeding.php

clownloach

That is correct to some extent

Post by clownloach » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:25 pm

The male and female part is true and feeding the loache's fry is true.
However loaches need to be atleast, and i really mean ATLEAST 7 years old to fully mature enough to breed. I know this for a fact because mine did.

You might find this interesting

I had 2 clownloaches which were 7 - 8 inches long. They decided to "get it on" in my 55 gallon tank. My recomendation is to remove all other fish from the tank because loaches can be very aggresive and can physically harm other fish in the tank. The other thing is to have tons of hiding areas.

What happened next?

One day after many months the loach was so fat it looked like it would have exploded. That night after i got home from school i went in to my room to discover hundreds of eggs lying all over the tank. There we so many that they were on the glass wall and in my filters. The male was currently still firmenting the eggs when i walked in so i left soon after to leave them some more privacy :)

Did they survive?

A couple of days latter i began to see the eggs develop and mature, But the number of eggs were becoming scarce. I guess they got hungry and ate some. To make a long story short, i had about 25 fry that actaully survived from the whole ordeal which i began to feed them fry food. I'm sorry but i do not remember what it was called.

What did you do with the rest?

I kept 7 of the 25, well... 23 because to of them did not make it past 2cm, probably from some kind of fry disease or birth effects. I gave a few to each of my buds and then gave 6 to one of the fish store for fish credit.

I hope this might give you some info about what you should do if you are in the middle of something like this or planning to do so in the future. If you have anymore questions or want me to tell you more in better detail leave me a msg on my account.
Q('.'Q)

ClownMob

Post by ClownMob » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:12 pm

fascinating stuff.

I'm kinda new to loaches, have 5 clowns, and have always been told they will not mate in an aquarium setting.

cool to hear your story clownloach, a very rare experience you had there.

got any pics layin around? would love to see some clown-fry, gotta be some cute stuff. :)
ImageImage
75g O'clown environment

clownloach

Post by clownloach » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:58 am

Yeah you are right about the RARE part. I could not believe it myself when this happened.

Sadly, I don't have any pictures because I was not thinking about that at the time. I so badly wish i did though :cry:
Q('.'Q)

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:45 am

Clownloach- Wow!! How long ago did the breeding occur?
Do you still have those breeding clown loaches? If not, what happened to them?

clownloach

Post by clownloach » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm

This was back when i was 12, i am 16 now. I only have the father now because the mother had jumped out during the night. She had slipped through the one area that i don't have taped down, which was the heater. However, i wasn't really worried about the loaches escaping as they had many places to hide, it's my sharks... The arn't the brightest at staying alive :wink:
Q('.'Q)

Dr. Momfish

Post by Dr. Momfish » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:00 pm

well, there is a place called Steamboat Springs in Colorado.