burmese / golden zebra loach bury themselves

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mistergreen

burmese / golden zebra loach bury themselves

Post by mistergreen » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:51 pm

One of my loach went missing and I search all over the place and outside the place.... I know they bury themselves but it was gone for 3 whole days?

It now back but what the heck was it doing? It didn't even come out to eat.

Oh, he's a little bigger and has a yellow hue to him... seems like he's more healthier than before.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:45 pm

Are you talking about histrionica? I didn't think they normally buried themselves, but maybe they can. What kind of substrate do you have? I recently heard of somebody's striata disappearing in a bare tank for a day (she stripped it down and moved all fish and couldn't find the last striata, only to see him swimming around in a little bit of murky water the next day!), and angelfish83 "lost" one for a little while in one of his tanks, too, so I don't think it is much of a concern that he was gone for a while. As long as he came back.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:06 am

yeah, histrionica... I have medium gravel and fully planted.

i'm just curious as to why these guys disappear for a few days.. I don't think he/she was stressed. I'm just afraid it'll die while burried and foul up the tank.

they are fun to watch but I don't know too much about them except reading their profile on this site.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:20 pm

Tell us about the setup you have him in, size of tank, tankmates, and what you feed. If all is well and he gains weight and grows properly it is unlikely he'll just die unexpectedly and foul up your tank.