Yo Yo's

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Wendie

Yo Yo's

Post by Wendie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:36 pm

I've got three Yo Yo's. From the start, the third Yo Yo has been the odd man out. I've noticed recently that the third fish has a deeper coloration as well as bands across the stomach. The others do not have the stomach bands. Do these bands disappear with age or would this be a different type of Yo Yo from the other two. All are about the same age and came from the same shipment.

sophie

Post by sophie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:23 pm

there's a fair amount of debate as to whether there are one or two species of yoyos ;-)

I've got one out of a batch whose stripes go across the belly and the markings are far more reticulated than the others (they are still very small - about two inches max). Another has very dark, intense coloration and they all have a different stripe down the middle of the face (one has three pale circular dots down the middle of the stripe). All came from the same batch and as yoyos are wild caught I think it's really unlikely that they're from separate species (there's a geographical difference). Yoyos are very variable, it's half the charm. Most of the botias (including chromobotias) are pretty variable, I think. They all age differently, too. Some have markings whihc change markedly (groan) and some stay very similar as they age. Only time will tell...
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:22 am

Is there an opinion about a khuli with the same feature? (stripes all around the body): variation/subspecies/different species?

I have one like this, full grown, likely a female, and so far was unable to find another.