New (possible loach) baby mystery!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:58 pm

I don't think you can rule out hybridization.:lol:

In fact, can you totally rule out that the two Sewellia's are actually one species, with local markings..... (probably not,... but are there any anatomical differences?)

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:19 pm

I suppose there is the very remote chance that hybridization could occur, but if it could happen between these two species (which I'm really not sure about) it would have to be a simultaneous spawning that 'accidentally mixed' because these two types really do not interact with each other very much at all.

The 'spotted Sewellia' are a larger, broader fish altogether, plus I believe that they head shapes are slightly different, so yes, I think there are probably significant differences between the two.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:12 pm

Here's some pics taken today 16-12-2006....

In the coconut shell cave:

Out and about:

You'll have to excuse some of the debris in the pics, but I'm a bit afraid to do too much siphoning of the substrate at the moment! :oops:

Emma

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:57 pm

I am with Martin on this one. S. balteata it looks like. Although, I cannot say for sure...it will take time to discern the identity of this specimen.

Good luck and congrats Emma!

Mike

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Emma Turner wrote:because these two types really do not interact with each other very much at all.
Very interesting, thank you.

I don't have the spotty kind...but mine interact with Beaufortia's all the time. Usually, it is just chasing/challenging each other, but during the "fight" on the driftwood, other Sewellia's ignored it, but a Beaufortia tried to join in...so they turned on it and told it something, so it ran away ... not the usual Beaufortia behavior, but was quite funny to watch.
The 'spotted Sewellia' are a larger, broader fish altogether, plus I believe that they head shapes are slightly different, so yes, I think there are probably significant differences between the two.
I wants.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:08 am

Thank you's. :D I guess we'll just have to wait and see what this little one develops into. One minute I'm thinking Spotted Sewellia, the next I'm really not so sure. Yesterday I actually saw one of the two adult Schistura balteata come within 2" of the fry when it was out in the open, and although panic flooded over me for a second or two, to my pleasant surprise the adult Schistura totally ignored it. It could easily have taken it if it had wanted to.

Emma

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:00 am

Here is a slightly closer photograph of the mystery fry, taken just now. I was lucky enough to spot him near the left hand side glass and although I did take quite a few pics, this appears to be the best one:

This fish is still not leaving the substrate to go up onto any cobbles/bogwood/tank glass etc.

Emma

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:07 pm

I can see the golden colour shining in-between the black markings, once they become a mature.

Lovely pictures.

dlenn

Post by dlenn » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:31 am

Hi Emma,

I'm not saying what I think the mystery baby is. :wink: I just hope s/he carrys on growing.

I have noticed that our baby Cheni, when very small also spend most of their time in and around the stones. (We found 3 new ones during the main tank move). They have only just in the last week started to venture onto the mopani wood and leaves in the tank and occasionally onto the glass.
Surprises in small packages
Binabik
Tad Williams

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:33 am

Definitely the best picture yet. I tried doctoring the pic, hoping to maybe get a dorsal ray count, but the big black marking makes it difficult to define the rays.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

sophie

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:27 pm

none
of
the
above

.gnomic is us.
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:58 pm

Sophie, your wordings are Terry Pratchett lately......

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:18 am

Here is a picture from today (19th Dec). This is the first time I've seen this fry leave the substrate and go up onto a cobble stone....

Emma

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:46 am

Looks like it's providing you with better photo opportunities gradually.
How is it comparing developmentally with the S. lineolata fry at the same size and approximate age?

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:55 am

It's difficult to say, I'd really like to be able to see it's underside to compare it's width (the young S. lineolata start out 'narrow' and widen with age). It is continually active, on a continual search for food - nuzzling through the sand, and is much more confident at this size compared to the S. lineolata, who tend to zoom off as soon as the tank is approached.

Emma