tubercles

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

adampetherick

tubercles

Post by adampetherick » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:11 am

Just been watching Go Fishing after finishing work and they were fishing for Bream, part of the cyprinid family they caught a male that had it's head covered in the tubercles and made a comment that all of the cyprinid family show these when breeding where they bang against the females belly to release the eggs.

some google hits here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa ... es&spell=1
Last edited by adampetherick on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:22 am

I wouldn't take what a couple of boobs say about fish on TV seriously.
I can catch a largemouth bass and say that infact all largemouth bass originate from the planet's core, where temperatures exceed 6'000 degrees ferenheit and that they can digest carpenter's glue and toothpaste but it wouldn't be true. :lol:

adampetherick

Post by adampetherick » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:39 am

well you could see them very clearly and the 662 results on google seem to agree
Last edited by adampetherick on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:22 am

I have caught many big male bream with a full head of tubercles and they look very impressive, they do use them when nudging the ventral area of the female at spawning time but I also think that they could also be used to show the dominant males in the shoal. I have 6 bream in my pond that are around 7" and last year was the first year that the 2 males got tubercles, to a lesser extent male goldfish, carp, ide and orfe get exactly the same thing as do most species of minnows.

Where the bream get the tubercles all over the head and operculum goldfish only really develop them on the operculum and on the leading rays of the pectoral fin and depending on the fish other fins as well.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

dlenn

Post by dlenn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:02 am

Male Goldfish do get tubercles when they have become mature. I knew about it, but never really noticed it on any of the ones I or my parents have had. They're nothing like the ones that the Cheni's get though.

My parents have a canary goldfish which I think is about 2-3 years old (can't quite remember when they got him). The last couple of times we have seen them I noticed he had lots of small bumps on his gill covers and a couple on the pectoral fins. (NOT ich, not spots)
Surprises in small packages
Binabik
Tad Williams

bevans

Post by bevans » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:08 am

dlenn said:
My parents have a canary goldfish which I think is about 2-3 years old (can't quite remember when they got him). The last couple of times we have seen them I noticed he had lots of small bumps on his gill covers and a couple on the pectoral fins. (NOT ich, not spots)

I have a 29 gallon tank with two goldfish in it. There used to be three-a big calico fantail purchased at Wal-mart, a small calico fantail purchased in the same place and a blue oranda. The big calico is over 3" now and he has lots of the tubercules on his gills, though I've not noticed any on his fins. The blue oranda is almost as big and has 2-3 tubercules on its gills as well, but nothing like the calico. From what I've read, the female goldfish sometimes get tubercules as well, so I don't know if this fish is male or female.

A while back, I had a power outage, which had me scrambling to keep my tropical tank heated The goldfish tank is not heated and usually hovers in the 68-70 degree range, and they experienced a temperature drop of about six degrees. After the crisis has resolved itself and the temperature rose back up to its normal level I came home to find that the two biggest fish had beat the little one to death and were engaging in what looked like courtship behavior, though nothing ever came of it that I could find. They had all lived in perfect amity before that.

They're either mated or a happy gay couple-in any event, I'm not putting anything else in there but more snails.
Brenda

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:50 pm

Leptobotia tientaienensis

Photo: Steve (The Dark One)

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.