cory cats and botias as well as stocking suggestions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

worldrallynut

cory cats and botias as well as stocking suggestions

Post by worldrallynut » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:16 am

Hey all! It's been a while since I was on here! Love the new site!

Anyways, I have a 130 gal custom tank (5x2.5x2.5) that I am stocking. I was trying to go with fish I have yet to keep, but not having loaches in there is driving me nuts :lol:. Here is what I currently have in the tank:

2 common plecos (2")
2 dwarf blue gouramis
2 pearl gouramis
6 silver-tipped tetras
6 red-finned danios
4 cory sterbai

Aeration/filtration: powerhead and 2 x eheim 2026 canister filters all at surface.

So basically what I am wondering is are there botia species out there that won't pick on the cories? Also, if all of the flow is at the top of the tank, would there be enough oxygen in the lower regions of the tank for botias?

Also, I am also looking for some suggestions on fish to add to the tank. I was thinking some rainbows, but what would you add?

Thanks!
Jeremy
Jeremy

angelfish83

Re: cory cats and botias as well as stocking suggestions

Post by angelfish83 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 am

Also, I am also looking for some suggestions on fish to add to the tank. I was thinking some rainbows, but what would you add?

Well, from what I understand you should always add more of Rainbow Goby. :lol: (disregard that, forum joke)

I had rostrata very happily hanging out with bronze corys.

So I can definitely tell you from personal experience, rostrata are ok with corys.

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:54 am

"Munki's" would fit in peacefully. Nice setup you have - thats one BIG tank.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:59 am

I wouldnt stock Sidthimunki's with Cories, I have had to do this in the past while changing tanks and the loaches did quite a bit of damage to the dorsal fins of the cories especialy the C. Sterbai and C. Axelrodi. I have kept Brochis Splendens with Clowns before but I have found some of the smaller loaches to be a little to fiesty for cories.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:28 am

Mad Duff wrote:I wouldnt stock Sidthimunki's with Cories, I have had to do this in the past while changing tanks and the loaches did quite a bit of damage to the dorsal fins of the cories especialy the C. Sterbai and C. Axelrodi. I have kept Brochis Splendens with Clowns before but I have found some of the smaller loaches to be a little to fiesty for cories.
I currently am keeping my B. splendens with my clowns and kubotia too. So far, no problems. However, the B. splendens are a lot bigger and stronger fish then most cories.

I would not keep the smaller cories with clowns and the more boisterous loaches either, just from my experience.

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:47 pm

Graeme McKellar wrote:"Munki's" would fit in peacefully. Nice setup you have - thats one BIG tank.
Thanks! It was originally going to be an arrowana tank, but when the arrowana jumped into my HOB overflow box (not even out of the tank), i rethought the big fish route...

Of the botia species, the ones readily available are striata, kubotai (a huge fan, but never had success), sid's, historanica, almorhae, pulcher, and dario. However, since the cories are only about 1" right now, would they be able to fend for themselves with any of these botia?

PS: I would love to try some rostratas but I have never seen them locally.
Jeremy

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:57 pm

I recommend the B. striata. They are great and dont seem to as aggressive as other botias. I have been keeping them with cories since the day I got them (1.5+ years). Just be aware, botias can turn aggressive at any time if they are in a bad mood...

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:22 pm

A LFS has a striata that has striking colors, yet it is 3-4" already. Is this too much of a difference between the cories and the botias?
Jeremy

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:27 am

worldrallynut wrote:A LFS has a striata that has striking colors, yet it is 3-4" already. Is this too much of a difference between the cories and the botias?
If its 3-4", then its almost full grown, if not already. You can try, but you need to get at least 3, ideally more. They will chase each other around and play a lot. I bought 3 and thats all they had. I havent seen any locally since. I would really like to get some more. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they dont chase the cories 8)

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:09 am

Well, I wound up back at the store today and I went ahead and picked up the striata. He is about 3" and seems pretty docile. They had him in with a bunch of albino cories this week, so I figured I'd give him a try. I'm gonna pick up some more striata the next time i see them available.
Jeremy

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:17 am

worldrallynut wrote:Well, I wound up back at the store today and I went ahead and picked up the striata. He is about 3" and seems pretty docile. They had him in with a bunch of albino cories this week, so I figured I'd give him a try. I'm gonna pick up some more striata the next time i see them available.
Sounds good. You going to post any pictures on the new striata?

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Well, It was late last night when I acclimated him, so I couldn't sneak into my sister's room to steal her camera. Now that he has gotten used to the tank, he has made his home in about 40-50lb of driftwood :lol:. Will have to try at feeding time :wink:
Jeremy