Kuhli Loach Stocking advice

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Amyzes

Kuhli Loach Stocking advice

Post by Amyzes » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello,
I have fallen in love with my little loaches, which I bought a few at a time. I have 7 in my tank, all are 4 inches. I see at least one or two out and about at all times of the day.
Here's my problem: I am sure there are at least 3 species. I would like to increase my loach numbers, but I'm not sure how to go about this- are there so few of them that they are banding together, or are the subspecies happy with each other? I'd like to add more, in a 29g long.

Should I try to round out each species?
I have *I think*
4 Pangio kuhlii
2 Pangio semicincta
And one Pangio alternans, which looks like the picture on this site: http://www.fishforums.net/threads/the-m ... ch.428313/ rather than the picture on this site.

I'm not sure how to post a picture but here is a link to my tank currently: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishfo ... nk.238779/

Diana

Re: Kuhli Loach Stocking advice

Post by Diana » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

If yours are currently living together, then getting more of the same (either species) would be good. If you want a different species then check the species sheets here. While almost all Pangios are social in a similar way, there are a few that might not get along with the others.
http://www.loaches.com/

As for quantity, Kuhlies are a lot leaner than almost all the other species, so the stocking level can be a bit higher than you might think, comparing them to 4" fish of a more typical shape.
Are there other (non-Kuhlie Loach) species in the tank?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Amyzes

Post by Amyzes » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 am

Yes I have other fish in the tank as well- I have some Japanese guppies and keep that population under control by returning fry to the local fish store, and 5 otocinculus. I keep no more than 9 adult guppies.

I was thinking about going up to 12 loaches, but wanted to make sure that I really would be making them happier even if the 5 additional loaches were of a different 4 inch pangio species.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:36 am

The fish quantity should not be a problem.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Amyzes

Post by Amyzes » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Diana wrote:The fish quantity should not be a problem.
OK, to make make sure that I am correctly interpreting what you are saying, all my kuhli loaches will be happier if I bring the numbers up to 12 of whichever 4-inch pangio species my local fish store has and they don't care if the markings are slightly different from each other?

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:18 pm

I'd say 12 total but I'm not quite sure of a 29g "long". 29g usually have a 30 x 12 inch floor space. 30g are often 36 inches x 12 or 15. Bigger tank, maybe a couple more loaches.

I've never seen p. alternans, I hope you can find more!

I kept semicincta & oblonga together & they did not interact, just a bit at feeding time if they had to.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Great choice Nancy.

I love my kuhli loaches.

I remember from reading some long time ago that in nature kuhlis end up living as loners but feel happier in fish tanks in a group.
Just get as many as you like no matter the type, unless you want to breed them and I am sure they'll be happy. They like their hiding spaces, driftwood, caves and the likes. As long as there's no predatory fish, they don't care who they live with. Mine have been living with my clown loaches and a bunch of smaller fish for a good while now and are doing just fine despite the food competition of predominantly bottom feeder tank. I initially kept them almost on their own for a few years.

They are super tough fish and long lived too :D