Mysterious disappearing Horse Head Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

SteveG

Mysterious disappearing Horse Head Loach

Post by SteveG » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Hello,

How long will Horse Head loaches burrow? I have 3 in a 55 gallon tank with sand, but I have not seen one for at least a week now. No fish bodies laying around the tank and no signs of a body in the tank if it did in fact pass away. There are no fish in there that are large enough to swallow it. Just hoping against hope that this guy is extra timid and spends like 99.999% of it's time covered up :(

Diana

Re: Mysterious disappearing Horse Head Loach

Post by Diana » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Can you tell them apart? Could you be seeing 2 at a time, but a different 2 each time?
Are there spots in the tank where you cannot see the substrate? Perhaps an odd angle through the glass, and maybe behind a rock or plant?

I have 'not seen them' for several weeks, then seen them acting just fine. The missing one is probably popping out and swimming around when you aren't around. Mine were almost always buried with just the top of the head sticking out. They blend really well with any tan-cream-brown substrate.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have one that is at least 6 inches. Unfortunately the other two are about the same size and it is one of them that is MIA.

You're right, they're so hard to see when they just poke their heads out. I moved the substrate around some today hoping that the missing one might pop out..and of course that backfired because the other two completely submerged themselves lol.

I'm new to keeping this type of loach, had these for about 2 months now. They are absolutely fascinating.

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:06 pm

Ha! And I kid you not, within 15 minutes of writing this post..there all 3 of them are!

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 am

Loaches of many species seem to enjoy making us worry. Glad the missing Horse Head Loach showed up :-)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!