PHOTOS

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Loachloach

Re: PHOTOS

Post by Loachloach » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 pm

That's not too much of a TDS change, hence the fish should be quite unfazed about your experiments. :) I'd monitor over the next few weeks, the KH, as well as the TDS value, and then settle on a base measure for both. As I said very early in the tread, use the TDS value as a measure of polution and keep the KH readable to prevent fluctuations. The soda bicarbonate should be adding a bit to the TDS, hence a bit of a difference with tap water. You just need to decide on a base measure, and not get it creep up too much over a long period of time...as that's when one slips up...You don't want any biological based pollution....It will eat at your KH value, and once its used up, the pH will crash down.

How are the fish by the way?

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:35 pm

So in essence, rely more on TDS than actual KH and PH. When the TDS rises, the PH and KH will drop.

Thanks again. And yes you did say that early on in the thread.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes, pretty much. You just need to see long term how much soda bicarbonate dosing is enough but essentially a rising TDS is what you want to avoid as this is undoubtedly a result of pollution. Pollution is due to heavy nitrification and other biological processes, all of which acidify the water, eat at the KH. Hence in your naturally soft water, you want some help in the form of soda bi-carbonate. You can also use potassium carbonate with the same effect but soda is readily sold everywhere.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Yes, Fran, go slow with changes; be it baking soda or tds.

Loachloach is right on with worming meds. I used levamisole back when I could get it (I have some in my freezer & some likely expired flubendazole). Fenbendazole must be given in food & sick fish may not be eating, so it's not nearly as good. Metro & prazi (or in combo) only treat "some" parasites.

I think it's inkmaker or inkmkr that sells both levamisole & flubendazole (he's a vet I think).

You know I'm feeling so sorry for your "sickly" loach. Sometimes, in spite of all efforts, it just doesn't work out well. Don't obsess over this 1 fish no matter how hard it is. You are doing all you can, & a dang good job, too. Focus on the "other" loaches & tank health in the long term.

Soft water is an issue I'm not sure I have the "hang" of, east coast or west...& they're different...it's always something new to learn.

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:09 am

Thank you both so very much Nancy and Loach. I can’t thank you enough for sticking it out with me. Your knowledge and advice has been invaluable. I will report on the Flubendazole after use.

Until then. Hugs to you both.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Fingers crossed you come back with some good news :D

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 pm

Well didn’t expect to be back so fast.

Took a TDS reading today. It was LOWER today that it was yesterday. I also noticed this which I haven’t paid much attention to: the Golden pothos has taken off even more. Huge roots lots of growth. It was doing ok but now....can I attribute this growth to the higher PH and KH??

Am I using the TDS thing correctly? I hold it in water just enough until I see the number slow down to a stop. Like a good five seconds of the same reading. If I hold longer it will alter a few degrees up or down. I mean how long should the number be steady?

PH. 7.6. KH. 3.

:D

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:12 pm

That's pretty much my TDS meter technique. I slightly shake it to remove any bubbles but once the numbers are steady, I call it good. Mine has a "hold" button if it's hard to see in/near the tank.

I'm not sure, but it does seem like your pothos likes the higher KH &/or pH. Maybe it makes nutrients more available to it? I'd take it as a good sign. I'd guess that's helping lower TDS.

I'm also thinking getting to 3 KH is good too. It should help stabilize pH. Do you have an idea of how much & how often you need to add baking soda? I bet you're keeping track!

How do your loaches look?

Hugs to you too :)

FranM

Post by FranM » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:51 am

I’m feeling a teaspoon at each water change and a half the next day. I will check every couple days and am guessing the magic hold steady amount for me will be a half.

Except for the skinny one they all are great. They seemed great prior but knowing that the water is in better shape can only help. The big clown with the skinny issue has more prominent dark spots cropping up again. Not the gray patches, just dark spots. I don’t know what to make of it. The smaller clown has been perfect since I got him. Never spots. Never skinny. Never patchy.

My fiancé and I want to move in together in a larger place. My fish tank is still at my mother’s where I live part time. Finding a place to accept a tank of my size even larger, is a BIG problem. Which reminds me. I wanted to bring the test kits over to check his city water just for the hell of it. Next weekend I will.

Thanks, Nancy. Just waiting on the med to come in now and hoping for an improved clown. I just don’t like looking at it like that. It reminds me that I did something wrong a long time ago and can’t correct the problem.

Anyway....

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:55 am

Plants can lower the TDS, hence they are great to help water quality, especially emersed plants that have access to aerial CO2. This is easier to see in tanks with little to no evaporation. I once got one of my tank's TDS down to half from tap water. Proof was also my 2 ottos spawning, which they would have never done in my straight tap water...For reference, my pH did not change one bit...

As for measuring TDS, take the value that the meter settles on. It may take a minute but it eventually stops fluctuating. Its not exact science...I always measure my tap water also to see if the meter is accurate enough. My tap doesn't fluctuate much.

The flubendazole may help your loach. If not, you are really trying more than most peoole would in your situation.

FranM

Post by FranM » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 am

Thanks, Loach. I guess this will be my last try at healing the sick.

Again, thanks Nancy and Loach. I’ll be back after the med arrives and I’ve tried it out.

XO

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Day 1 of the Kusuri dewormer. I really hope this works as it’s a last resort. I really dislike looking at a skinny clown. Maybe that sounds sick. Will post on day four, the results.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Good luck, Fran!

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks, Nancy!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:31 am

Good luck.

Depending on how skinny he's got, the actual full recovery may take weeks but you should be able to see some filling out sooner than that. Make sure to dose twice 4 days apart, with a water change in between if possible.