PHOTOS

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Loachloach

Re: PHOTOS

Post by Loachloach » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Congrats!!!

I am so happy for you Fran! Great news and great choice of everything you've bought :D

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Thank you Loach!! I can’t tell you how thrilled I am.

:D :D

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:17 pm

I think I know :D :D :D I've felt the same before. It's especially rewarding when you already have pets you've cared for years....The fish will be thrilled too I am sure :D

Any plans on what exactly you want to achieve as an overall look? I'd also keep your current filtration for redundancy and add on the new filter to the lot.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:33 pm

Well I will put the old filter media in the new tank filter along with a ton of other media. I’d like two more clowns, two more yo-yos, and some colorful tetras, smaller sizes and a couple bristle noses.

I would just like driftwood and rock caves and green plants. With the silver dollars I probably never be able to keep live plants. I’d prefer a plain old black background and I think I’d like to do the sand substrate.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:09 pm

I am suggesting you keep the old filters for redundancy....I always keep multiple filters on my tanks....if one is malfunctioning the rest compensate, plus the tank is more stable that way..But I know aesthetics are important too...only a suggestion on my side....

Sand, driftwood and caves sounds good to me. You only need a very thin layer of sand in an uplanted tank. You can always do emersed plants as well if you have an opening on the lid :o A school of small surface fish is a good idea, instead of getting more larger fish and the yo-yos and clown loaches would love new friends :D Can't wait to see it set up :D

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions but I can tell you I’m dying to get rid of the HOB. I still have the group of Pothos roots in the filter now so I would like to keep them in the tank.

Thin layer of sand huh? How thin? When I do a light vacuum of the substrate I figure I’d be sucking up sand. Was also looking up pool sand in place of aquarium sand. They say it’s a very good alternative.

Will be some time before tank is up and running. And I will quarantine new friends before adding in. Hopefully a month is enough quarantine time. I have a two HOB and will use the smaller one for the 29 gallon quarantine.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:42 pm

I do a very thin layer, can't even sink my finger in it properly...You don't want anaerobic activity in the substrate which happens in deep substrates.....You don't siphon sand normally, not the way you do gravel because debris settles on top, you just hover over it with the siphon tube....You'll suck up some sand accidentally of course but you'll figure out how not to eventually, at least not too much....I haven't added new sand since I set up my pond but I can tell its thinned out slightly as there are some bare areas being uncovered by the filters. Pool filter sand is a good option.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks! Pool filter sand it is. The tank floor is 24 x 48. Wondering if 50 lbs will cover it? I have to look it up.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:57 pm

I'd also recommend a pre-filter sponge on the intake of the filter, if possible. It will prevent your filter media from getting clogged, extend the time between filter cleanings,and also clean media=more robust nitrifying bacteria. It will also prevent sand from going into the filter..in case you place the intake too close to the substrate. External filters should not be used as siphons. They're also more prone to low oxygen levels due to the enclosed design so extra care is essential. If that's done, they do a great job.

One month quarantine should be fine. I'd dose them up with kusuri while in quarantine as parasites and worms are the only thing you won't visually notice until months later...

And last attempt at tempting you to do a more emersed plant oriented set up :wink: Think of it that it will also improve the air in the room it is in as well as the well being of your fish. The fish can't eat the roots if the plants are rooted in caddies, hanging pots.....A small pothos that relies on ambient light doesn't do much but a big plant mass with some dedicated light and care will have a major positive impact on your water quality,plus its beautiful to look at ....Here a nice picture of mine taken today...

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks! Pool filter sand it is. The tank floor is 24 x 48. Wondering if 50 lbs will cover it? I have to look it up.
I'd only put half of that, and it will give you about 3/5 inch of sand layer which is plenty in non-planted tank. Keep the rest for top ups if needed.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:50 pm

OK. Good tips. Thank you. Your plants are beautiful.

So you can buy a gadget to enclose the roots?

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Wow, Fran, super cool news! So exciting!

I agree with Ll: 2 filters, pool sand, prefilters & wormer in QT

Is that filter 1 than monitors lots of stuff?

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:48 pm

So you can buy a gadget to enclose the roots?
Yes, plastic shower caddies with suction caps or also have a look at ebay.

You can also buy specialized riparium planters from the below website. I got my first planters from it but delivery to Europe wasn't cheap.

https://aquaverdi.com/

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:04 pm

Thank you, Nancy!!

Will take the filters into consideration. The little planter plastic things are so cute, Loach!

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:07 pm

NancyD wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 pm
Is that filter 1 than monitors lots of stuff?
I’m not sure what you mean exactly but it’s huge and can hold lots of media. It has a release at the base so that if we did have a power outage, I could drain it so that fresh water would enter in releasing the stagnant water. I liked that feature. I could do water changes from that release valve also.