PHOTOS

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NancyD

Re: PHOTOS

Post by NancyD » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:21 pm

The 1 I'm remembering tracked temp, flow rate, maybe tds & need for cleaning. But just the ease of water changes is great!
We'll need to see it in action you know, after you understand what all it does.

Will you wait until you move to set up the new tank & QT?

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:22 am

I think Fran has bought the Fluval FX6-great powerful filter
And Nancy is referring to the Fluval G6-fully electronic.

Personally, I much prefer the Fluval FX6 and have thought of buying it on many occassions. The least parts that can fail, the better.

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Yes, correct, Loach, and I’m thrilled to say the reviews have been marvelous! I really can’t wait. I’m so excited to be putting this together.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Hey Fran.

Any news on the new tank and the move?
How is the loach doing as well? :D

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri May 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi Loach.

Fish tank is doing nothing at this time. I’m trying to get us to a larger apartment because now we want to get someplace and stay settled. I can’t do more than a year or two at my fiancé’s current apartment. It’s just too small. He says we should only move once. I agree with that.

The clown is still doing just fine although he has a bout of the black spots right now. I’ve been diligent with keeping KH stable going no lower than 3. I’ve read a lot about what people think cause the black spots. I hate seeing it but he’s doing just fine.

Fran

Thank you for inquiring! 😃
Last edited by FranM on Fri May 18, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks for the update Fran.

Yeah, I hate moving myself, especially not if you're a fish keeper....

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Fri May 18, 2018 5:02 pm

There ya go, fully set up and cycling now!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 18, 2018 5:27 pm

The clown is still doing just fine although he has a bout of the black spots right now. I’ve been diligent with keeping KH stable going no lower than 3. I’ve read a lot about what people think cause the black spots. I hate seeing it but he’s doing just fine.
I still think its a water quality issue and you may find your experience different once you upgrade both the tank and filters. If you're lucky, you may get slightly harder water as well.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 18, 2018 5:28 pm

loachnoob wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:02 pm

There ya go, fully set up and cycling now!
He, he. Well done. But I think you meant to post it in your own thread :D

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri May 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Loachloach wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:27 pm
I still think its a water quality issue and you may find your experience different once you upgrade both the tank and filters. If you're lucky, you may get slightly harder water as well.
So for the hell of it I measured TDS and I just took a nitrate test. I did WC on Wednesday.

TDS—311. (Tap—86)

Nitrate @ 5. I didn’t rinse the filter media. You think the TDS is doing it? The little clown is showing black spots today. Mr Slim is really doing fine. No more skinny.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 18, 2018 6:25 pm

TDS—311. (Tap—86)

Nitrate @ 5. I didn’t rinse the filter media. You think the TDS is doing it?
Yes, I honestly think so. Ignore your low nitrate....nitrate is not an issue as I've always said....

Your TDS rise is a problem and it is a huge rise Fran. My tap TDS is around 280-ish. The highest TDS I get/I let is 320 the most between water changes and that's when I haven't reset the tank in a while. By reset, I mean back to back water changes for a week or two to get the TDS back to exact tap level. I don't need to do it often, just on per need basis once or twice a year. You're letting yours getting out of order in a very short period. It will be better manageable in your bigger tank :D For now, only solution is way more water changes than what you're doing currently...
Last edited by Loachloach on Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Loach I honestly do WC’s, big ones, no more than ten days apart. I take out at least half of the water. So maybe it’s the filter media.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I take out at least half of the water.
I do believe you. And on majority of tank it would be plenty. But go by your TDS meter and keep the TDS way closer to your tap until you move the fish out. And ignore your nitrate level. The higher build up you get may also have something to do with your old gravel. Once you get sand there'll be a lot less stuff trapped providing you don't go with a thick layer.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Personally, I do about a 70% water change every weekend like a clockwork and its enough to keep my TDS steady for long periods.

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri May 18, 2018 6:53 pm

I don’t mind doing even larger WC’s. Since my water is in decent shape I won’t be shocking the fish. And also I need to use a water pump to return fresh water since I have a faucet that does not work with the python, I actually add a little bit of water treated with baking soda so the KH doesn’t really vary terribly. I add it intermittently.

Thank you for keeping me on track!