PHOTOS

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Re: PHOTOS

Post by FranM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:07 am

Yes for skin issue, spots, that is why I’m thinking Prazipro. I haven’t done it, just trying to think of solutions.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Hey Fran.

It's been a rare period of smashing good weather here and I have not been up to fish stuff much lately.

Prazi pro is very limited in what it treats. I believe you already did several treatments?

I generally tend to think your fish just need a bigger tank. Your silver dollars are quite big now and bio load isn't on the low side. When you move everything over, it should get better. Despite that, I think the loaches look good, or at least they do so on the video. I think you're doing a very good job out of what can be done and the fish look healthy.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Glad you are taking advantage of great weather, Loach!

I had done Prazipro months ago and yes the loaches look good as far as the weight and stuff goes. I cannot WAIT until I can set up that tank and I, too, and hoping for more stability.

Thank you!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 pm

Yeah, Fran, you've done prazi before, no need to do it again. & you may have different water when you move. How goes the housing hunt?

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:41 am

At least the hunting is somewhat active. I’m dying to set up this tank so much! I thought we had a winner for a rental, and then there was a major flaw. Thank you for asking. I’ll be thrilled to let people know when we are settled!

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:50 am

And as I’m sitting here doing a water change looking at Mr. Slim, I can’t tell you how happy and satisfied I am that he looks like a plump clown once again. I couldn’t have done it without you, Nancy, and Loach.

Did I say that when I finally have the new tank set up, the current 55 will become the quarantine tank? I’m also going to fishless cycle the 120. Once my present stock gets in there then I’ll grab at once all the fish I want to add to 120.

Two clowns
Two yo-yos
A dozen or more schooling colorful tetras
Maybe a pair of small cichlids
And five more cherry barbs. (I have a surviving female that deserves some friends. She’s gotta be at least six or seven years old).

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:20 am

Glad they're doing ok Fran.

Cant' wait for your new set up. Patience in picking the right place will pay off in the long run.

When I first got my "second tank" I planned for it to be a quarantine tank as well....Then I got another tank, then another... :lol:

FranM

Post by FranM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:37 am

Loach, thanks.

I have some good news finally! We chose a condo to rent and we’ll begin to move in on July 1. Waiting was a good thing. These condos are on the water and we have a partial water view from our balcony. I’ve always wanted that! I’m still nervous about putting the heavy aquarium on second floor but it will go in a corner to give it as much stability as possible. The owner of the condo knows I’m bringing in an aquarium but he never asked how big.

My plan is to get the tank started up as soon as possible and begin the fishless cycling method. Hopefully that will be done in two weeks. I’m so nervous and excited. I’m praying the floor holds up for the fish tank. We have insurance!! :shock:

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Awesome on the condo find, Fran! Whoo hoo, water view!

Time to make a moving plan...If I remember right you're still at your parents? So there isn't so much of a rush as might be otherwise? It'll be great!

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 am

Yes, Nancy! A dream come true. Partial view from our balcony but just a short walk on the complex’s grounds to see the full effect.

Yes, the current aquarium is setup at my/my mother’s current home and she and my stepdad have no qualms about the leaving the current aquarium as long as I need it.

BUT, dying to set up the new one. Fishless cycle should take a couple weeks if I do it right and don’t overdo the ammonia, would you think?

I’m so excited, really. Everything in due time.

Thanks, Nancy. 👍🏼

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Fran, a fishless cycle takes 4-6 weeks, less with media from your healthy filter. Patience!

Is your mom's house convenient to your new condo? It could be a PITA to go there often while moving etc. Is your mom willing to feed sometimes (with preportioned foods)?

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 am

I don’t recall a fishless cycle taking THAT long. If I overdo the ammonia, yes. I have to re-look this up. Thanks. The condo isn’t far from my house. 20 minutes maybe. Luckily I have summer off when school is out of session. I don’t mind coming back and forth.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Don't want to play devils advocate here but my fishless cycle took only a few days once I started adding SeaChem Stability. Dr Tims One and Only did not work for me.

I posted about it in another thread but here is the quick and dirty of it, summarized.

Dosed Dr. Tim's ammonia to 2ppm (i trust any straight up ammonia would suffice) Kept testing with my API Master kit, for a few days but my ammonia still held at 2ppm while showing no traces of nitrate/nitrite.

Simply added Stability at the recommended doses for 7 days, the tank cycled in about 3 days - API Master test kit was fun to play with white the Stability clearly was giving me results! I kept up with the SeaChem Stablity, at the recommended rate. I wasn't in rush to get my 125 loachtopia up and running, but as always in my personal experience with Seachem Products, SeaChem Stability did not disappoint! I would highly recommend it.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:06 pm

I should add I did some big water changes while the cycle was going on, 50% or so every few days while dosing with Seachem Prime. I wanted to dose more ammonia but didn't.

Slowly added fish over the course of a few days, while testing tank perimeters. Everything is running smooth. Still on hunt for more tank mates, but the inhabitants I have in there love it more than the 55 "confetti clown car explosion" tank my son and I were keeping them in :lol:

FranM

Post by FranM » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 am

Thank you for the input about fishless cycling. I think I will just use the present filter media in the new filter and eventually the new filter media will begin growing good bacteria. But it’s good to know the fishless cycle could be much quicker using Stability.