PHOTOS

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Re: PHOTOS

Post by FranM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:44 am

I am shocked about frozen peas! I will get pellets today. Ty. Yes that’s my 12 year old boy, Bruno.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes, we live and learn. For a long period I didn't know either. Peas contains inhibitors, interfering with fish's growth and development. Its funny, because they're so popular.....

If you want to supplement with plant matter, best is aquatic type. New Life Spectrum algae max has some impressive content. I mix it with NLS cichlid formula and that's basically my staple for all fish as all mine are omnivores. I feed frozen only occasionally, normally on Saturday. Northfin is also good quality food and getting a name for itself but I don't like the wheat being so high on the list. I think at the moment NLS is the best. I can't complain either using it for years.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Well I stopped for bottom feeder API pellets and they went to town on those. Will feed again tonight. Is it cruel to keep two clowns in a 75 gallon? I know it’s wrong to not have at least 3 or 4 but I only have 55. A 75 gallon seems more feasible for an apartment and certainly more cost effective. I want honest opinion.

Thanks.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Get the largest tank you can get.
Honest opinion? I am not sure. Considering a lot of fish get killed in the first couple of years of their lives, it's hard to say what's fair and what's not fair. Not everyone can afford what they really like to afford. Since you already have the clowns, do what you can do best for them.
The downside could be shortened lifespan and growth perhaps. That can be remedied by large water changes but in the long run one always slacks on things. So it is up to the fish keeper how things go. Your clowns appear to be males, so their growth will not be as much as that of females. I have a 6 year old female clown loach which is nearly 9 inch and very thick. She's a very large fish and would not do well in a 55 or 75 but from the same group of fish I have a male who's barely 6 inch. He'd be fine in smaller quarters...

The biggest the tank, the better the water quality, the healthier your fish will be. It is easier to maintain a larger tank and the cost will be pretty much the same or there won't be much difference, at least in my experience. Also, the fish really appreciate larger quarters. I can even see the difference in my harlequin rasboras being in a large tank. They're so chirpy, confident and happy looking. They were very skittish in a 15G tank while in quarantine....Size matters, not just for water quality.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Makes good sense Loach. At least my fish won’t be victim to new tank syndrome. I’d be using the filters I currently have in operation. I don’t really care much about stunted growth. I really do a good job with water changes every 7-10 days. Or when nitrates hit 20. I’m glad I’m keeping track of KH which I feel has made such a positive impact.

And, as you said, you see active clowns. In fact I think that THEY act like the dithers for the silver dollars. I would get two more yoyos and a couple schools of barbs and tetras and be done. And then I’m at capacity again. Who knows what will happen. Just trying to think of all the angles.

Thank you for your input Loach. I know there’s no exact answer. I want to buy a used tank and my fiancé is so worried it could leak. Sighhhh.

Thank you. :-)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Loachloach, I read several abstracts on "harmful growth inhibitors" in green peas. They were all focused on fish farming daily diets, not on an occasional treats. I would not be concerned about a 2 or even 3 times a week feeding of a few peas "guts".

The studies I saw were all over the place as to species of fish & legumes both...& the amount of growth inhibition. This article was more worrisome to me https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 074741.htm I will be looking at soy content in my fish foods :(

Fran, your fish (& dog) look good! I think both will make home hunting more difficult, have you looked for a small house rather than an apt? I think redshark kept his 20+ year old clowns in a 4ft tank for at least a while. Clowns live a long time, your next house doesn't need to be your or your loaches forever home! Get the largest tank you can for now.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi Nancy.

Bruno isn’t coming unfortunately and besides the tank he’s part of the reason I haven’t rushed out. He will be with my mother and stepdad where we all live now. I hate to leave him at nighttime but I will see him as often as I want.

A house is out of the question for buying— my fiancé will not buy in RI. I have looked at house rentals too and sometimes you can find a more lenient owner.

I know this will all work out eventually. My fiancé is now saying just don’t say anything about fish tank. We will have plenty of renter’s insurance. Just take the damn thing in. LOL. I don’t know....

Thank you!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm glad Bruno has a back up plan, he's adorable! (Is he a standard?) I kinda agree with your fiancée's don't ask, don't tell on a rental apt or house...unless tank of a "certain size" are specifically excluded. Buying in many markets are way over the top, I know! It's worse here than RI, I bet, but both areas are very high. I just meant a small house rental or even an "in-law" suite in the right place. Keep looking! At least you have a time cushion with family, that's got to help!

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Yes Bruno is a standard. You’re right there could be a perfect place to go and yes I agree a small house rental could be the key.

I could never leave Bruno if there wasn’t a plan. He has a Chihuahua sister too. 😌

https://s26.postimg.org/yvd2dwepl/92_A2 ... E25494.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/7krr5z42x/B7383 ... 15_FCB.jpg

You can see I do love my animals. I lost my other Chi last May. I’m not over it.

https://s26.postimg.org/dlpg35dvd/ABEE3 ... 8_BDEF.jpg

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 pm

Oh my! they are all so adorable! We're both not over our "very" late Keeshund. We lost her almost 20 years ago & haven't had a dog since, sniff. But there is a dog in our future...someday. I know it! & clown loaches too. It's just a matter of time & space. We'll both get there eventually :D

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:29 am

So cute

Sorry to hear about your loss Fran. I never got over any pet I lost. It just gets easier in time. I lost my cat to cancer a few years ago. I have a small Jack Russell called Angie. She's a pain in the b"t :lol: I love her to bits.

The studies I saw were all over the place as to species of fish & legumes both...& the amount of growth inhibition. This article was more worrisome to me https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 074741.htm I will be looking at soy content in my fish foods
In regards to peas, better safe than sorry. 2-3 times a week is a lot of peas as in my case that would consist 40% of my fish's diet if I feed them that much. Luckily I've rarely fed peas in the first place. The repashy food I bought the other day for the new hillstream loaches seem to contain pea protein but apparently its heat processed, making it less harmful and right now I don't have a choice as these fish won't eat anything I have so far.
The soy I know about for years. I don't eat the stuff myself either. High quality fish foods don't contain soya.

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:05 am

Thank you girls!

I love your input and stories. And if we’re talking about pets we’ve never gotten over, I can mention my Chuckie. He was a Lab, first big dog I’ve ever owned. He was special. Only ten years old when he had to be put down. When my father passed away suddenly, and we had plans to move to a larger home “in the country” as my father called it, he wanted a big dog to protect my daughter. He said “a dog that would tell HIM to sit and stay”. Lol. He never saw the move but his words resounded in my head.

A month after his death I saw a litter of Labs in the paper. My mother did not want to hear about another dog as we had just put down our 14 year old toy poodle. But insistent that I am I called and I learned the puppies were born on my father’s birthday! I said to the lady we’ll be there to pick out a puppy! Ten years at the anniversary of my father’s death, my Chuckie was gravely ill and had to be put down. So we had him that very special ten years 1995-2005–same birthday and death date as my father. He was meant to be, my Chuckie.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 am

A sad and heartwarming story at the same time Fran. Thanks for sharing.
My father died 25 years ago in a car crash. I got the love for animals from him. I steal dream about him and I still miss him even that it's been such a long time...But it's gotten easier and easier over the years, now that I am not a spring chicken myself.

I don't want to know how I'd feel when Angie gets too old. I noticed the other day her eyebrows have gotten grey... :wink: But she still behaves like a little puppy and people do confuse her with a puppy because her fur is naturally very soft and shiny, and obviously she gets regular showers because she's an indoor dog, so she can look the part :lol:

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:38 pm

I’m sorry about your dad. Life is so unpredictable. Angie sounds like a little spitfire. That’s how my Minnie was, the Chi we had to put down. She had a mouth tumor but she was full of life and jumped and ran like a four year old. Had a voracious appetite until the tumor made her unable to eat. It was awful. She was only 13. I just felt that was such a needless death. Everything else about her was so healthy for her age.

It’s so sad to lose your beloved dog (pet) but I wouldn’t want to not have a one. Maybe as I get older I may change my mind and not want to go through the pain. I don’t know. But they are so special and I love knowing that the dogs that I had have lived loved and respected lives that they so deserve.

I’ve had birds and bunnies too. Love them all.

And on a positiv note Mr Slim continues to look good. Filling out ever so slightly more.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:11 am

You 2 are making me tear up with stories of parents & pets lost over time. I guess that's just a part of growing older, sniff...it doesn't get any easier.