PHOTOS

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Loachloach

Re: PHOTOS

Post by Loachloach » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Get what you can afford Fran.
I have a plastic pond and I am happy with it so I am certainly not a picky one :lol:

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:12 pm

A plastic pond? LOL.

Aqueon is looking really good. LOLOL

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Aha :)

Its not exactly plastic. Its MDPE (medium density polyethylene), very sturdy standalone round pond.

Hard to take videos but I have one underwater from last month

https://youtu.be/bIRn6_ZrZZc

And the video below came out really bad because I moved the light, it didn't work, gave a really murky sort of look to the pond, but on this video you can see more of the clown loaches I have. The light actually ended up falling in the tank :evil: The loaches have been without a light for a few weeks, loving it. Hoping to get the new one delivered tomorrow..

https://youtu.be/G-pGV7ulMFc

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:44 pm

I love your videos! Tell me more about the pond. Is it outside? How many gallons? So you can only see through the top? How do you like the sand? I tried sand once but it jammed up the impellers regularly. Tell me everything. Your loaches are beautiful! The little guy looks good and I love the barbs. If I get the big tank the barbs will be part of it.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 pm

The pond is 900 litre, that's roughly 238 gallons. The pond is inside, at home in spare room that was never used before.

I always preferred sand as substrate because it doesn't collect as much detritus and I am a bottom fish lover....
I always put coarse sponges on the intakes and the intakes are halfway above the sand so I haven't had any issues with impellers. Two of the filters are 6 and 7 year old. There's a third one but its only been there for just over a year. I use the pre-filter sponges to protect the bio-media and it also protects against sand.

I can only see through the top but because the pond is round, the viewing angle is quite large, unlike a rectangular tank's top view. It's just difficult to picture and take videos but I'll buy an underwater camera one day. My phone has limited under water ability so I was able to take at least one video :)

In person, I am able to see the fish in great detail and a lot more than I was ever able before because they don't hide, swim right under my nose, and in fact come and beg for food on the side of the pond where I have a chair to sit and observe them. That applies for every fish in the tank besides the corys and kuhli loaches who never notice me :evil: even during water changes :lol:

The barbs are doing really well. They have such beautiful colours. See a close up below. And they're great dithers for clown loaches. They ate my plants though,including my large anubias plants :twisted: Apart from that, really great fish to have, healthy as well. I've had no problems with them(or any other fish in the pond) and I raised them from fry size.

Generally my fish are way happier in the black pond than they were in a transparent glass tank. I understand its not everyone's cup of tea...I love mine though :) Its worth it just to see the great difference in fish behaviour...

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Wow that’s great—238 gallons!! How deep is it. No one has tried to jump? That would scare me a bit. I would try sand again with sponges over the filter. I used to do that actually AFTER I had a problem with the impellers.

It’s beautiful. The fish room. 👍🏼👍🏼

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:14 am

Its 73 cm deep and last year one clown loach jumped out....found it dry on the floor after coming back from work. I have a net over the pond since...He jumped out the side of the pond where I feed...They tend to feel excited and splash at the surface if I am around....My other half was at home early and they normally gather around just if someone opens the door so I wonder....I was very late from work that evening....I had previously kept them for 2-3 months in a small open plastic tote because their previous glass tank broke, their previous tank was also open top and none jumped...So although they're not particularly jumpy, it can happen, and its painful when you've had that loach for years...

Try sand, a very thin layer will be best if you're not planting the tank, and use sponges on the intakes. You can get black coarse sponge. Cut it to size, a hole in the middle to fit the intake...cheap and easy...The fish much prefer sand and its a healthier substrate. Cleaning is also easier as the detritus will be on top, which is the point of having sand. The pre-filter sponges will keep your bio media healthy and functioning to the max capacity because detritus in the filter means anaerobic conditions and heterotrophic bacteria instead.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:01 am

Thank you. Sorry about the loss. That sucks.

Thank you for the ideas. I’m sure you lose sand when you vacuum and must have to replenish once in awhile. I’m anxious to start up a new tank but it still must wait until we get settled first.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks Fran. Yes, I was devastated at the time...I don't like remembering it....
Hopefully it never happens again.

Yes, you may lose a bit of sand when you vacuum but not by any noticeable amount. One should not vacuum the sand but just over it really.

Starting a new tank is exciting. :D Hopefully you find the right place soon.

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:01 am

Loachloach wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm
Starting a new tank is exciting. :D Hopefully you find the right place soon.
Oh me too!! Ty.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:00 pm

So, Fran, did you redose the flubendalzole? How Mr. Slim doing? Any noticeable improvement yet?

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:45 am

Hi Nancy.

Mr Slim is holding his own. No worse, slightly better. I redosed the Flu on Monday and did a big water change yesterday. I’m keeping KH at a 3 minimum. Things seem to be going ok. He’s not bulking up as fast as I would like. I’m doing two feedings a day and I hand feed to make sure he gets his share. The silver dollars are pigs when it’s food time.

Anyway here is a video I took yesterday. He looks slimmer in video. So when I don’t see the bone line in videos then I will know I have success!

Thanks to you and Loach for all your help.

https://youtu.be/oK039CS6AQ0 (Cameo of my dog in the video.)
Last edited by FranM on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 am

Looking better Fran :D Look at the colours on him :P

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:00 am

Def happy with the color! What are the best foods to feed him that will plump him up? Besides brine shrimp, blood worms and frozen peas?

Thank you!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:49 am

Do not give them frozen peas. The contain a component harmful to fish.

The best food is actually high quality pellets. They'd contain everything the fish needs. Don't worry about the slow recovery, that's the way it is with emaciated fish. It just takes time. He's looking way better I think :)

Forgot to say, your dogi is very cute :D