Constipated Gold Dojo

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

SteveG

Constipated Gold Dojo

Post by SteveG » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Hello again :)

I currently have a constipated Gold Dojo loach. I've been trying the pea trick and have been giving him epsom salt baths to no avail. I can see what looks like feces right at the exit of his rectum but it just will not come out. Any other ideas for what will help this poor fella get regular again?

Diana

Re: Constipated Gold Dojo

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Higher level of epsom salt? and over a longer time, not just a temporary bath.

Try this: Start with tank water, check the GH. Fill a container the fish will be OK in for several days. (5 gallon for young Dojo, 10 gallon or larger for larger Dojo)
Add enough epsom salt to raise the GH by 2 German degrees of hardness.
Move fish into this tank.
Add more Epsom salt daily, to raise the GH another German degree of hardness each day.

I would add a bit of filter media from the original tank, this will move over enough bacteria to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control. Monitor these, and do water changes if needed.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi Diana,

So I put him in a 5 gallon aquarium yesterday with an established filter. I actually keep this tank running at all times just in case of such a situation with my fish. I added in the epsom salt and he has now been in there for about 30 hours or so, still no pooping action though.

I do notice something about his anal cavity that concerns me a bit, there is a red "blockage" there that makes me think of something akin to a scab. I dont know how else to explain it. It is like this scab is covering up his anal cavity and not allowing poop to make it through.

I guess I will keep fasting him for the time being. He floats around up top and chills in the leaves of an anubias plant I have in there. I will lightly touch him from time to time to make sure he is still with me and he will swim around a bit and he has nibbled on my fingers a bit as well. Good signs I suppose, but I wont be happy til this guy, or gal, is pooping again :)

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:01 am

Keep researching that red area, I am not sure what it is.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm

I've read of some fish having a "prolapsed" anus or vent that looks red but not "scabby". I don't remember the species (several) & think the treatment was Epsom salts to try to shrink the swollen tissue. Good luck.

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Thank you both for the replies.

I still have the dojo in the 5 gallon. I'm not sure whether to dose with epsom salt each day or not, so I steered on the cautious side and did not add any today. His anus does not look as red today, though he is still just chilling at the top of the tank. I will probably try to give him a little bit of pea later on tonight.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:15 pm

I'd continue adding the Epsom salts & feeding peas, every other day for both is probably good...He does still eat the peas, yes? It sounds like he's a tiny bit better, less red is good I think.

Does it still look "scabby"? I take that to mean sort of lumpy uneven brownish/dark red, that's not a "fish symptom" word I've read before. Can you post a pic?

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am

Sorry for no current updates. I *think* the little guy finally cranked the cables..so to speak. His anus is looking almost normal again and I dont see the bloating that I was seeing a few days ago. Plus he is staying at the bottom of the tank now...he had been floating around the top for a few days, very much alive but just riding the current. Last night I reached in and touched his head and he wriggled back and forth like he was ticked off at me lol.

I wish I had gotten pics of the redness a few days ago. If it ever happens again, God forbid, I'll take pictures of it and share my experience with it for anyone who comes across it in the future.

Thank you both again for the valuable information and knowledge.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

That's great he's doing better! I'd leave him in your 5g for a couple more days with the Epsom salt. Then gradually reduce it with water changes before you move him back.