Normal Sewellia behavior?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

elr

Normal Sewellia behavior?

Post by elr » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 am

I have 6 Sewellia lineolata in a hillstream tank and they seem to be doing great. I'm amazed at how active they are and at how much they glide around the tank instead of crawling around on the rocks - they're so cool! Recently I've been noticing a funny little behavior where they sort of jump up a little and twist around. I'd call it leaping for joy or kicking up their heels if they had heels lol. I just want to make sure it's normal and not flashing or indicative of any problems. You can see the behavior in this video in the loach on the white rock in front at 1:34. Can you tell me if it's anything to worry about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqqL9wND_Sc

ch.koenig

Re: Normal Sewellia behavior?

Post by ch.koenig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi
Part of the ranking/dominance fight. Common in Sewellia, Gastromyzon and others.
Remember the jumping African gazelles (e.g. springbuck, impalas, tommies)? Says: "I'm sound and strong, and I've seen you" and with "territorial" Sewellias "I'm the boss here".
Cheers Charles

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 pm

It looked like normal behavior to me too. Lots of chasing, I took the lone 1 on the rock as sort of "claiming" it, ready to drive away interlopers.

elr

Post by elr » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks for reassuring me. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I actually think the behavior is adorable. 😄

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Me too! Mine have bred a couple times &, with no effort on my part, a couple fry have survived each time, :D

elr

Post by elr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:27 am

That’s terrific! Do you have a picture of your tank? What kind of substrate do you use?

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 am

No, I don't have pics (sorry) but I have Eco Complete substrate (not sand) & lots of lowish light plants: cryptocorynes , "jungle val", bolbitus & (yucky) java moss...& duckweed (bleck)...& a couple unhappy stem plants.

alisondaewon

Post by alisondaewon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:26 am

The most pleasant habitats contain cleared, oxygen-saturated water which, allied with the sunlight, facilitates the growth of a rich biofilm carpeting immersed surfaces. During periods of high rainfall, college assignment help some streams may be temporarily turbid due to dissolved material removed by increased and sometimes torrential flow speed and water depth.

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi
What do you try to tell us with your posts? Please deliver a content to those issues and stop that product-placing.
Thanks.
Charles

swapnali

Post by swapnali » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:51 am

This is just great. I must say the content shared here is wonderful and very informative I have got. Thank you for this great effort to share such kind of knowledge.

subway surfers pc~download clash of royale
play clash royale~ clash royale pc

olivia13

Post by olivia13 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 am

I was hoping to find here some information for my academic writing assignments in biology.
Unfortunately, all in vain. I've been looking for a week or so and must admit I'm pretty tired of these useless conversations.
If anyone may provide me with some useful info I'll be very grateful.

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 am

First of all

Hi Olivia
I can be very old fashioned you see.
What is the issue of your "work in biology"? Any questions to answer?
To reasure you: I'm used to scientific language. So go ahead.
And regarding hillies: you won't find anybody to know more about.
Or is all a bla bla bla as we say in German?

To end with: best greetings and
cheers Charles