Snails in hillstream loach tank?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

elr

Snails in hillstream loach tank?

Post by elr » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 am

I added a plant to my Sewellia tank and it must have had snail eggs on it because now I'm squishing several tiny snails every few days. My questions:
- Are snails are bad for Sewellia tanks? They eat algae so there is less aufwuchs available for the Sewellia, correct?
- How can I get rid of these snails? Add another type of loach? I'm already overstocked so it would have to be a single small loach. Or add salt? Or add something else?
Thanks for any help.

nhkg

Re: Snails in hillstream loach tank?

Post by nhkg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am

I had snails in mine hillstream loach tank too. I moved mine fish to another tank and tried to kill them with Gastropex. It didn't help. Only solution for me was fish: black paradaise fish for biger snails and dwarf botia for small snails. After snails were gone, I moved this fish away. Black paradaise fish don't like strong current and dwarf botia must be kept in bigger number.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 am

I've controlled my snails by siphoning them out at water change time.

I ruled out purchasing fish to eat snails or using chemical control.

I found trapping ineffective.

I only have this problem in one of my five aquaria.

I consider my efforts worthwhile.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:39 am

Handpicking snails is by far the best way of getting rid of snails, or better put, buying fish to eat snails does not work, as the fish will still need them after the last one is eaten. Chemicals is never a solution for a tank problem.

However, it could well be a sufficient current is enough to keep the snails from growing or reproducing. In such a case, handpicking is not required either

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 pm

If you don't overfeed there will be fewer snails, I don't mind some. I remove jelly-like egg masses if I see them & sometimes squish them or remove them with plant trimming.

It also depends on the type of snails. Trumpet snails are livebearers, they live in the substrate mostly, are mostly nocturnal, & are too hard to squish; pick them out if you have a lot. Ramshorns are my favorites but my water is too soft for them to reproduce too much. Pond or bladder snails are my worst, they are easy to crush.

Snail "slime" & poo can be a source of infusoria, microscopic food that some fish eat. It can be a part of "auf wuchs" that hillstreams graze on, the biofilm of algae & micro foods. It's not just algae that hillstream loaches eat, it the whole little biosphere of all the organisms.

alisondaewon

Post by alisondaewon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:24 am

The fish inhabits mainly in depthless plenties with the quick flow and upstream extremely saturated with oxygen, Essay Help little tributaries of floods and streams; zones restricted with combs and sometimes with falls.