Hillstream Loach Spawn

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

isitakilli

Hillstream Loach Spawn

Post by isitakilli » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 am

Hi. I have waited a long time to get on this board! I have been in love with hillstream loaches for a long time. I have had a few species in the last few years, but came across a group of sewellia lineolata and bought them against the store owners advice. He said they were dropping like flies. I know they are difficult to ship, but I had to try. I managed to save 3. I put them in a planted 30 gallon long about 1.5 years ago and have enjoyed watching them.The flow is pretty good in this tank (large internal fluval, sponge and small internal to move the water). I did not set up a river style tank for them since my other loaches have been good in this tank for about 4 years - and I only ended up with 3 so by default they went in this tank. They do not interact a little with the two other (singles) species. A few months ago I found what I thought was a BN pleco fry, but upon closer inspection I was thrilled to see it was a hillstream loach. It looks like 2 or 3 spawns based on the sizes. I have now about 20-25 fry that have grown up nicely. (I removed the obvious predators from the tank immediately) They are now in with plecos only. I do see spawning behaviour but have not seen any further fry. I was going to change the tank over to a more suitable environment for them, but since this seems to work for them, I am hesitant to make big changes.
So questions are: what is the average amount of fry in a spawn and how often do they spawn. Are the plecos an issue in this tank? (I have no problem getting rid of them if so. They won't stop spawning..) Where do the loaches spawn? They seem to have taken over my pleco cave but I don't know if they are actually spawning in there or just hanging out. I have done lots of research to find answers to these questions, but am looking to hear from others who have spawned them.
....now I just have to figure out how to insert photos here....

Loachloach

Re: Hillstream Loach Spawn

Post by Loachloach » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:03 am

Hi.

Congrats on the spawn.

To upload pictures, you can use a free picture hosting site like postimages.org. Then share the "direct" link here using the "picture" icon in the reply window.