My Rainbows have Vanished!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cybermeez

My Rainbows have Vanished!

Post by cybermeez » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:13 pm

I'm cross-posting this from the FW forum since traffic there is low.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the holidays and all I've been a little less attentive to my FW tank this past week. Today I went to do a big water change and discovered to my dismay that ALL of my Forktail Blue-eye Rainbow fish were gone! There were at least 9 of them in there last week, all adults that would hang out with the tetras. Obviously they perished at some point last week and became snack food for their tank mates.

I have had a couple of other losses in the tank recently (2 Botia sidthmunki and a Botia striata) that came on suddenly with no discernable symptoms other than the fish turning up dead. No new fish have been added recently and water parameters are good (a fully mature tanks with lots of filtration) with the exception of possibly elevated nitrates due to a top off instead of a water change last week.

I got all the rainbows at the same time this past summer and my guess is that that they were about a year old. Any ideas?

Joe Loach

Sorry for your loss.

Post by Joe Loach » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:44 pm

That's frustrating. I'm sorry.

It leaves you only guessing as to the possibilities. Perhaps a disease that was dormant found the right conditions in order to "reassert itself?"

JL