YoYo and brigs

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

YoYo

YoYo and brigs

Post by YoYo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:13 pm

Can I keep brigs in my tank with my yoyo loach? He is very small at the moment. They are about nichol size. opps, can't spell anymore.

Will they be safe when he grows up and they are golf ball size? :oops: I got them to try and eat the algae on the tank walls and him to work on the MTS and now I don't know what to do. They are in the 10g right now.
Nanc

One YoYo in a 20g hi with 9 cory and cherry shrimp
10g with SAE,Oto,2 Platy
5g with snails and momma shrimp

qumqats

Post by qumqats » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:10 am

What's a 'brig'?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:57 am

I think YoYo is referring to the Apple/Mystery snail (Pomacea Bridgessii).

This may be helpful: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile92.html

YoYo

Post by YoYo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:05 am

Graeme,
Yes, that is what I meant. :oops:

Thank you, I will check out that link.
Nanc

10g with SAE,Oto,2 Platy

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:16 am

Hey YoYo....I can help. Even though Badman's is a FABULOUS site ;)

I would not keep YoYos with Brigs. Even if they can't get through the trapdoor to eat them, they will pester them so badly that the Brigs will starve. They just will never come out of their shells.

If you really want to keep a loach with your snails, go for either Kuhlis or Dojos, not the Botias.

I've been keeping Dojos with mine for about a year now, and not even the smallest baby snails are in danger......well, unless you count being run over by the Dojos a danger ;)

YoYo

Post by YoYo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:45 am

I already have a yoyo but was hoping to get my snails to clean the tank a bit. But, I need the yoyo to work on the MTS more than the snails to get the algae. Can't get a dojo, had to have a friend in the north to get the one yoyo for me and ship it in. Ended up being very expensive as well.

As for being run over, the oto and SAE and platy did that very well in the beginning. I think they are getting used to them now. :)

Guess I will have to scrape it myself, a never ending job.
Badman was very informative for the snails but not the yoyos. Said they eat from the surface. Not mine. oh well, always differing opinions and differences in fish.
Nanc

10g with SAE,Oto,2 Platy

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:55 am

Ok I gotcha :)

One thing you might want to know.....Brigs are not that good at cleaning a tank of algea?? They do eat it, but they also need supplemental foods like veggies and even Protein from Shrimp pellets and things. If you expect then to eat ONLY algea, they will die of starvation :cry:

If you want to learn everything there is to know about Apple Snails, visit applesnail.net. On the left side of the main site is a list of areas. Click on Discussions for the message board, or look through the other info.

Hope that helps :)

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:11 am

YoYo wrote:Can't get a dojo, had to have a friend in the north to get the one yoyo for me and ship it in. Ended up being very expensive as well.
Around here there is a chinese supermarket that sells dojos *by weight*. There is also a fs that right now has a plenty of yoyos...I can ask if they would be willing to ship, if you want. Yoyos are more fun in a group, I got four from them and thinking about making it a six.

Is there a reason why you would not want a BN as the algae solution? Full grown yoyo will need a larger tank anyway later, and a young BN can keep your tank clean for now.

YoYo

Post by YoYo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:15 pm

mama: I know they won't clean it, I have read almost everything on the snail site. Thanks for the heads up.

mikev: I had a BN and he died. Way to hard to get another, too expensive right now. Besides, all he did was hide in the cave. Everyone says these 3-4 inch fish won't go in a 20 gal. Why?
Thanks for your info.
Nanc

10g with SAE,Oto,2 Platy

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:48 pm

YoYo wrote:mikev: I had a BN and he died.
Very sorry to hear this.
Besides, all he did was hide in the cave.
So does mine, but first he really polished the tank. Since I have not seen any algae coming back, I assume he prefers to work at night.
Everyone says these 3-4 inch fish won't go in a 20 gal. Why?
I'm sorry, but which fish is 3-4 inch? Surely not either dojo or yoyo. (Some people on TFF claim to own 8 inch yoyos...)

YoYo

Post by YoYo » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:26 pm

Everything I have read and been told, yoyos are supposed to get to 4 inches. Saw one post said theirs was 5. Saw another one that said 3 inches.

The BN is supposed to be 4 inches.

Go figure. Maybe it depends on what you feed them :roll:
Nanc

10g with SAE,Oto,2 Platy