Helping Shaazam....

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:20 pm

See what I mean about the varying opinions on how/when to use levamisole?
Robin does the antibiotics first, then levamisole. It works for her.
I do the levamisole first and if that doesn't work then do the antibiotic.

As Dr. Yanong suggested, it is best to get a fecal sample to see if the parasites; worm, larvae, and eggs are gone. Unfortunatley most of us can't do that ourselves, and do not have access to a reliable 'fish doc'.

I agree with rich that it is very sketchy trying to diagnose fish illness via a forum. We do our best. But sometimes it's not enough.

So we observe, research, ask other fishkeepers...and ultimately have to decide for ourselves. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:47 pm

shari2 wrote:See what I mean about the varying opinions on how/when to use levamisole?
Robin does the antibiotics first, then levamisole. It works for her.
I do the levamisole first and if that doesn't work then do the antibiotic.
A strong argument for levamisole first is this:

If nematodes are present, any delay may result in not just loss of the affected fish, but a larger wipeout, perhaps a total wipeout.

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:48 pm

I imagine who does what first in the course of trreating a fish has a lot to do with what medications are readily available. For example, I live in a large metropolitan area so it's not easy for me to get my hands on Levamisole (not many cows, horses, sheep, goats or pigs running around New York's streets). However, both Maracyns are readily available so that is my fist line of treatment when I suspect Chronic Wasting Syndrome. Nine times out of ten that does the trick. The fish starts putting on weight within a few days of starting treatment and I know I'm on the right track. I will still eventually treat for internal parasites in any newly acquired loach before they leave the Q-Tank, but I usually use medicated food for that.

Lots of the medications we can get in the US are not available elsewhere and they are getting even harder to get here due to new FDA regulations and California labeling laws. It's the primary reasons why Aquatronics went out of business. So, until vets who treat fish become more common we're on our own.

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 pm

I was thinking if someone could put some levamisole in a box and ship it to NFLD and then just get cash sent to you @ Western Union in return. I can do it but not until I have enough cash on me in like 3 weeks- might be too long...

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 pm

angelfish83 wrote:I was thinking if someone could put some levamisole in a box and ship it to NFLD and then just get cash sent to you @ Western Union in return. I can do it but not until I have enough cash on me in like 3 weeks- might be too long...
I suspect you two can use PayPal to transfer money within a day (never used it this way, but it ought to be possible, even without leaving the home).
It is probably best if "someone" is in Canada, sending drugs across the border may violate some laws.

hth

angelfish83

Post by angelfish83 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:57 pm

good point.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:22 pm

Here's something I haven't seen before- EcoRX Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food. This has levamisole, Metronidazole, and Praziquantel in it. It's expensive, but it might be worth a try.

http://www.pondsonlinecanada.com/fish9.htm

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Eco ... tnG=Search

http://www.aquascapeinc.com/products/po ... ations.php
Last edited by chefkeith on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:30 pm

chefkeith wrote:Here's something I haven't seen before- EcoRX Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food. This has levamisole, Metronidazole, and Praziquantel in it. It's expensive, but it might be worth a try.
I would not be very optimistic.

On nematodes, at least, levamisole in food does not seem to be effective.

I did try Jungle Anti-Parasite Med Food (also with Levamisole and Prazi) on a fish that was infected with nematodes. It ate a fairly large quantity of the food, with no impact on the worms. But a pretty weak solution of levamisole used once I managed to get it, worked instantly.