Stocking advice please

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Gryphoemia

Stocking advice please

Post by Gryphoemia » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 pm

I adopted three orphaned clowns a few months ago (2"-4" SL). Currently they have a 55 gal to themselves. I'm planning to upgrade their tank when we move this summer.

I'm planning a 6 foot, 135 gallon tank. I'll add three more clowns, roughly the same size, for a total of six. I want to add some tin foil barbs to fill out the upper part of the tank- how many do you think I would have room for? I'd like this tank to be a comfortable home for them for the next 3-4 years.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:43 pm

That mix of fish is going to need some serious filtration in their tank to adequately control their waste output. This might give you some ideas:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/my-clown-loach-aquarium

With Tinfoils you can forget having most live plants in the aquarium as they will treat them as a help-yourself vegetable buffet.

In a tank that size I would not have any more than 6 Tinfoils with the Clowns and actually 4 might be a more realistic number IMO. Remember that adequately fed Tinfoils will grow like weeds to around 10" in a year. In actual fact, like BIG clown Loaches, at least an 8 foot tank is far better than a 6 foot.

Just like Emma Turner's tank. The big Clown is about 12":

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k183/ ... CN1258.flv

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Gryphoemia

Post by Gryphoemia » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:54 pm

Martin, thanks for the info. Your river tank is lovely, I'll probably try to build something similar in terms of water movement. Do you get much sand creep with that constant, one way flow?

Do you think 8 clowns and 3 tinfoils would work, bio load wise? (assuming 50% weekly water changes and a couple cannister filters)

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:58 am

That fish mix would actually be far better for that tank. The more Clowns, the merrier.

The weird thing with my tank is that the sand has crept towards the powerheads. They're quite high-mounted and not hugely powerful for this tank. the River-Tank manifold is partially uncovered at the left front, but i think it's a combination of Clown activity and flow moving it. That's where they always hang out and get fed.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.