Gastromyzon ocellatus colouring

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

janma

Gastromyzon ocellatus colouring

Post by janma » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:16 am

This is my first post on LOL, so hello everybody and greetings from Finland. The weather here is up-side-down, but the sun is shining :).

Well anyways, the reason I´m posting is that I´ve got Spiney-headed hillstream loaches, which are some of the finest and interesting fish I´ve ever had. And the question is about the tailfin colouring, on some it´s red and on some its blue/white. Is it normal with these or has the colour difference some meaning, genderwise or so? Here are some pictures with different colours.

These loaches eat everything, pellets, waffers, cucumber... Well anything that hits the bottom.

Check out more pics on my website.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:19 am

Lovely fish Janma :) and welcome to LOL :)

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:00 am

Hi janma and welcome to Loaches Online.

Lovely fish you have there! With many Gastromyzon you will find variations in colouring. You will have noted that all your fish have unique markings and tail colouring will differ from fish to fish.
Due to genetics, separated populations may develop a slightly different "look" to another population and then fish-collectors mix them up.

With G. occelatus, I do not know if colour bears any relationship to sex, but the fish in the lower picture with the most colourful tail appears to be a male. Note that the first few rays of the pectoral fin have raised "fences" visible. It is like a group of louvres.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:19 am

Hi Janma. Welcome to Loaches Online. :D

janma

Post by janma » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:30 am

One thing I noticed today during feeding was that the red-tailed ones were alot more aggresive and territorial and kept chasing the blue/whites away, only other occelatus were "terrorized" no other. I´ve had these for some months now and this was new or I haven´t noticed, never gets booring with these :lol:

Added a "movie" folder on the webpage. Theres a short movie (poor quality) of the same behavior mentioned above.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:48 pm

Welcome to LOL!!
Nice pics and video. :D