My Crazy Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 pm

I did read above, but the tank is still not big enough! Hopefully you have plans to upgrade again.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:58 pm

yikes I missed it!!!
all of those fish in a 30 gallon?!?!
hey water changes must have been easy, due to the high volume of fish I bet the tank only had a few gallons of water in it :P
glad you got a bigger home for them til you upgrade again.
drain your pool!

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:01 pm

LoachOrgy wrote:if you read above, they were already upgraded from a 30 gallon to a 55 gallon. there is no room in the apartment for a larger tank. this one takes up half my dining room.
judging from the pix top up the tank
drain your pool!

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:45 pm

newshound,

no the 4 loaches and goldfish were in a 30 gal. i have that tank full of small tetras and cories now.

I wish I could upgrade emma,

however that requires buying a house or getting a bigger apartment. The rent down here is steep and its high enough for a small one bedroom. The day I buy a house, i can upgrade. But I am a long way from that. a two bedroom townhouse here is close to 250k-300k. My buddy is going to setup a tank soon as well and I may try give him a few fish.

I was thinking of getting a few more loaches today when we get rid of the goldfish later this evening.

So do you guys think this is a bad idea?

I would be losing 3 large gold fish and getting a few small loaches. If you look at the pic of the tank, to the left is a large looking wood thing.

that stump is the main headquarters for the loach. they love it. they won't come out. but i added a bunch of smaller pockets and little openings with rocks and smaller housing for the loaches.

If anyone in the south florida area needs a pleco that is about 4" let me know Ill give him to you for free granted you take good care of him. hes a nice little guy!

thanks wolf, i am cleaning and maintaing the tank tonight after work!

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Ok, we just got rid of the 3 gold fish and one pleco. I am also going to give them the large 14" pleco because they have a 135 gallon pond. He is outgrowing this tank and a larger tank is not an option. I have had the fish for 6-7 years and it is hard to get rid of him. But I think the fish will be happy. Although he hates the comet I have and this pond is full of coy lol...

so now i just got rid of basically most of the biggest fish in this tank. Would it be advisable to add 3-4 more small 2" loaches soon? They seem to be the heartiest of the fish. Now the tank looks empty lol bc the loaches never come out.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:10 pm

I think you made a wise decision. 8)
so what's the roll call now?

If you want to see some action in the tank, why not get a nice shoal of schooling fish?
Given time, I think your loaches will come out more. Especially if you warm up the tank, lower the lighting a bit (they don't like really bright lights), and keep up with the water changes.

they really are cool fish to watch when they are acting like themselves.
Have you seen the video of Emma's huge clown tank at feeding time?

I love this little vid... :lol:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:51 pm

well i have a 30 gallon full of
rasboras,
glow light tetras,
neons, danios,
albino corys, and
long fin tetras-the orange ones.
one von rio tetra. i had several of these but they seem to like to be loners and kill eachother.
glass fish.
4" pleco

they all get along really well with eachother.

the problem i have had, is that the loach are hungry for some fish steak. they eat the danios, neons, and rasboras. that is why i had to move them from that tank initially a while back. we actually bought the 30 gallon specifically for the loaches. the problem that occured is that my girl didn't want to get rid of the comet she won at some fair. hes the dirtiest fish and a big dumb fish. all the other fish really hate him.

yeah they just changed tanks so I am giving them a few weeks to adjust. most of the time i can get them to come out and they will play with me. kinda dance and move around and follow my fingers on the tank. but the big loach hates coming out. this loach is only out really late at night and really early in the morning. he bolts from me alot. but sometimes he will sit and play a bit when he is hungry. they all go crazy early in the mornings when they know they get fed. we have two smaller loaches that are about 3" and the runt is only 2" and slim. he looks healthy but he stays in a tight spot and never comes out. he bascially follows the big loach around the entire time. its almost like the big loach is the mom or something. i didn't notice that they came out anymore with the higher temperature. we used to keep a heater in the tank but it broke one day and i found it 90 degrees. this would be the third heater i have gone through and i am a bit reluctant to buy anymore in case it malfunctions and fries my fish again. but right now at room temp the water is 78. i think the coldest this tank gets is 70 at most. the temps don't really fluctuate at night either. its mostly a consistent temperature thoughout the day. it seems now with this big tank, i can't find them bc there are too many places to hide. that is why i want to add about 4 more loach. they usually group underneath the big similated wood stump on the left side of the tank. and they all just play hide seek with me. i can get them to kinda look for me by hiding in certain areas and the fish start trying to find me and i scare them. they run away, then i hide, then they come looking again. its quite entertaining. the longer i have these fish the more i want. but if i ever upgrade i think i am going with the undergravel filters and power jets bc i use a manual shit sucker and its really slow.

recently i have been turning off the lights in the tank but it seems during the day they won't even come out unless the light is on. maybe its an indicator of food to them. usually i turn the light on, then feed them. i have kept the light off for the last week or so to see if they come out more. the temperature is now being raised as we speak. i topped the tank about 5 gallons and i will do a partial water change tommorow when i am not so worn out from work.

one thing i did notice. on weekends my shcedule is different so i feed the loaches later when i wake up. like around 11am. usually they get fed at 7:30 am. on the weekends during the day they come out and play alot. all 4 of them. the 2 twin size 3" loach play the most and actually interact with me the most. sometimes they play outside all day. the runt is scared of his own shadow and big loach is the 2nd biggest chicken in the tank.
so what i am thinking is that they have more of a day schedule. they know i am gone so they don't have to hide from me. so i think they have tea time all day and when the weekend comes around it throws them off. or it could be that shrimp and bloodworm days are the weekend and they remember it. because they are extra lively on weekends. i love these little fish. i can't wait till i get a big fat one like emma. hopefully it will be a few years so that i can get a new place and a new tank.
roll call

4 green corys
1 big catfish that never comes out ever- he sits in the smaller stump to the right. i have had him for close to 9 years and was actually given to me for free from a friend- when its pitch black he will pop his tail out sometimes and i think on a yearly average i see him like 3 times. hes the master of disguise
1 pleco
4 loaches
2 upside down catfish.- they aren't too big and like to hide as well like the loaches. they get along great with all the other fish as well and at times i see them mingling and rubbing on the loaches. the funniest thing they do is swim upside down underneath the large place. they actually use him for camouflage to hide from me.

check this out. i am going here tommorow. my girlfriends friend suggested it. she said our fish are already getting along and hanging out with the other fish. thats awesome.
http://www.bigalsusa.com/

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:56 pm

ok i got 4 tiger barbs for dither fish.

i added a few bigger plants. i got a small clown pleco and i am giving the big pleco a new home in a week when his scratches heal up. i ordered a blue moon bulb today online because the ones at the store are around 80$.

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:12 pm

Do you have a rainbow or a red tail?
Whenever I say rainbow or red fin everyone thinks I mean that he's a RTBS. Tanooki (my shark) is a rainbow shark, he's been very kind to my loaches. At first he was weary, and chased them a bit around feeding time because they always got there first- but he was over it within a few days. Now they hang out in his caves and eat along side him peacefully. :wink: I can vouch for my rainbow, anyway. LOL I don't doubt that they may be pals- but what sort of nudging was your rainbow doing?
I've also seen them fight- sometimes it doesn't look that aggressive- sometimes it even looks silly- but you never know, right?

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:11 am

i used to have a rainbow shark. he died in 2005 from hole in the head. he looked a little different than the red tails and had irradescent rainbow colors that would reflect in the light. his fin colors were a little different as well. he had orange fins not just the red fin on the tail but all of his fins were colored. i will try and find some old pics. they do a little dance but the rainbow shark puts on the moves. he really seems like he was trying to impress the loach like doing courtship type dancing. when he would try and fight the other fish besides the loach he would get very aggressive and do a darting back and forth type of motion. it looked a little different than the dance he would do to the loach. they really hung out in the same little stump together, eat together, and just play around together. the only thing is, he was so territorial he wouldn't want to come out. he really only liked the loach. anyone else even the cories he would chase them off. lol its funny bc he was always chasing one fish or another.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:35 pm

ok its a bad pic but a cute one. we bought a little house that is a barrel of rum. he was pokin his head out this morning.

this is tank two with all the tetras. i forgot. we have a few glass fish also.

we also added two golden algae eaters in place of the pleco. i brought a clown pleco home but it had ich all over it so i returned it last night.

we found a few more hearty plants at al's fish store and added one that kinda grows near the top of the tank. it crinckles up. it makes little shadows as well. im going to replace one light fixture with the blue moon light bulb when it arrives next week.

the pleco decided its his new house not anyone elses

these guys have been playing with the tiger barbs and cories all day. im sure they are worn out now

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:44 pm

great pics!

those are some cute clowns in the last picture!!

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

newshound

Post by newshound » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:55 pm

I hope that the pleco with white spots was in a Q-tank.
I'd be getting rid of those "gold algae eating loaches" :roll:
as some stores like to call them.
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/
drain your pool!

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:57 pm

newshound, why would you get rid of them? i am trying to replace the pleco because he is getting a new home? i posted in the freshwater forum and a few suggestions were siamese algae eaters.

here is the video of the barbs

golden algae eaters

3" loach playing, being a little more timid than usual.

Last edited by LoachOrgy on Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:15 pm

Those 'golden algae eaters' are the gold variant of the Sucking Loach (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri). They aren't a true loach, but that's common names for you. Many people find them very problematic as they age - less algae eating and more aggression towards other fish. They are a totally different species to the Siamese Algae Eater a.k.a. Siamese Flying Fox (Crossocheilus siamensis). This is a classic example of why latin names are so important.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.