My Crazy Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:44 pm

ah ok. well i will keep them under observation, if they cause problems i may go exchange them later. so far they are small. if they grow too fast i may just change them out. i didn't really have many options. all the plecos they had at the store were large growing or about 30$ a piece. so id rather spend 5$ and have a fish for 7 yrs. i also read that the gold nugget plecos tend to have problems with water changes and are very sensitive. so i decided to stay away from them. they also cost 30$. is there another fish you might suggest emma for algae control. i am looking for something that doens't grow too large but will clean the algae.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:48 pm

As I said over on the FW forum the other day, I'd highly recommend Bristlenose Catfish (Ancistrus sp.). They don't get too big and do a great job where algae is concerned. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

newshound

Post by newshound » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:53 pm

Emma
right on the money. I love that algae eating loach crap one can see at bad petstores.
the reason I posted that link for Algae Eating Cyprinids was so everyone could see/learn the differences between them.
drain your pool!

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:18 pm

There is also ottos, they are about $1.79 each here in the Chicago area, but a nice herd of them will take care of the algae.

Common names: Otocinclus, Otto, Oto, Pygmy Suckermouth Catfish, Dwarf Sucker
Scientific/Latin name: Otocinclus affinus (other similar species exist, like O. vittatus and O. vestitus)
Maximum length: 1 to 2 inches
Colors: Natural, black
Temperature preference: 70 to 80 degrees F
pH preference: 6 to 7
Hardness preference: Soft to moderate
Salinity preference: Low
Compatibility: Excellent (may suck on large fish like discus and goldfish)
Life span: Unknown, maybe 3 to 10 years
Ease of keeping: Moderate
Ease of breeding: Moderate to difficult

Kevin

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:45 am

they said it was a golden algae eater at the store. i asked if they had siamese algae eaters and they said no. it wasn't listed as a loach. they did have one other type of loach other than the clown loaches.

yeah emma my gf doesn't like the way they look so i had to skip those guys. although they did have a few.

should i trade the golden algae eaters for an otto?

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:59 am

get 1 or 2 bristlenoses!!!

they may be ugly (males have bristles, females dont) but they do a hell of a good job at eating up algae fast...they are UNBELIEVABLE!!!

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:26 am

my gf isn't down with the bristlenose, she said they scare her lol.

i finally got a good video of my big loach and a few others playing. im goint to post tonight.

ok i caught a few of them this morning. they are little chickens!
caught the big guy and a few little guys

Last edited by LoachOrgy on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:01 pm

LoachOrgy wrote:my gf isn't down with the bristlenose, she said they scare her
female bristlenose cats dont have bristles, so they just look like normal common plecos (but a lighter brown)...as the female matures, she may sprout a few tiny bristles, nothing noticable...

Picture of an Adult Female
Another Adult Female
See?? no bristles
Albino Female (notice the TINY bristles on nose)

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:35 pm

yeah i guess at the store they were all male then. i didn't see any in the tank that looked normal.

here is the crazy loach. he's playful and not shy at all. he still hasn't figured out what the orange is but i bet once he takes his first bite...

i have to say though, i kinda like these little golden algae eaters. they were suckin algae off the big plecos back today. they are kind of aggressive towards eachother but they hang out and the color compliments the tank well.
Last edited by LoachOrgy on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:39 pm

yea, i dont really care for the males myself, although i plan on getting a male and one or two females for the 55...maybe try to breed them... :)

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:02 pm

I think I found someone who is going to take my 55 gallon. so now i am looking for 75 gallons. i may do a complete theme renovation on the new tank once i get it. probably going with more natural and woody with some stacked rocks.