Help with stocking my new tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

SoCalFishGuy

Help with stocking my new tank

Post by SoCalFishGuy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello all,

I recently upgraded from a 90 to 180 gallon tank. Everything went smoothly and my current fish seem to be happy and healthy. Now, while I wait for everything to settle in and ensure that there wont be any mini cycle I'd like some help with stocking my new tank! Advice, comments, questions and such are all welcome. Water temperature is kept between 79 and 80 degrees.

I currently have: (1) Angelfish, (1) male Betta, (1) Albino Rainbow Shark, (1) Pleco, (2) Denison Barbs, (3) Swordtails and (4) Clown Loaches.

I intend to add: (2) more Denison Barbs to make (4) total. (3) more Swordtails to make (6) total. (4 - 6) Boesemani Rainbows and therein lies my first question. Should I get (4) or (6)?

My next question is where I'm looking for advice from people who've had any of the species of loaches or cories that I've been interested in. Alternatively, if anyone has had other species of loaches or cories that would work with my tank then please chime in with your opinions!

I've been looking into: Yo-Yo Loaches (4 - 6), Polka Dot Loaches (4 - 6), Dwarf Chain Loaches (5 - 8), Kuhli Loach (4 - 6, although I think my water temperature is a bit too high for them???). I know there are a large number of species of loach and I am unfamiliar with all of them, so please don't be limited by my above choices. If anyone here has different suggestions, please feel free!!

I've been looking into cories as well but are they generally compatible with loach species? I would MUCH rather have the loaches than the cories. These are what I was considering: Julii cory (Corydoras julii, 6 - 8), Three striped cory (Corydoras trilineatus, 6 - 8), Panda Cory (6 - 8) or Sterbai Cory (Corydoras sterbai, 6 - 8).

In the end, going with all the highest totals listed, that'd be 38 fish in a 180 gallon tank. I have two filters which are more than capable of managing the tank (I think). Filstar XL and Filstar L.

I also plan to have some live plants but as far as plants go I am new (I've never had any before) and thought I might start with Anubias and/or Java Fern. Suggestions?

Thanks for reading this far!

Diana

Re: Help with stocking my new tank

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Check the temperature tolerance of Cories. Not many will handle that warm a tank. I use Planet Catfish for Catfish information. Here is a link to the Sterba's Cory. You can use a feature next to the temperature to find other Cats in the same range.
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=316

Boes. I would go with 2 males and 4 females.

More Loaches: I would add more Clown Loaches, not mix species.

Swords: While they sure might try to breed, I think there will be a few tankmates that will eat the young. Why not add these fish to another tank with harder water (more to their liking) and smaller tank mates?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 pm

I'm a big fan of the polkadots - kubotias as most know them. Not sure how they'll do with clowns thought as I don't keep them. I my opinion, no loach is as beautiful as the kubotias.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:56 pm

I would add more clowns & denisonii, a minimum of 6 each, rather than any other species. Corys don't really respect loaches territorial needs & clowns get so much bigger there could be problems down the line as the loaches grow larger. Maybe a BN pleco instead of corys?

Livebearers are not my "thing" but I do like swordtails. I don't really care for old rainbowfish, the humped look is off putting to me. 3 species of midwater swimmers seems too jumbled to me.

I think your betta & maybe your angel will be in trouble as all the other fish grow. Bettas & angels are not often compatible, & those long fins on both are hard for other fish to resist. The betta is too small to live well with fish 3 or 4 times larger. & both prefer less current than the other fish.

Will you be keeping the 90g? That would give more fish (loach) keeping opportunities but I'd still worry about betta.

SoCalFishGuy

Post by SoCalFishGuy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 am

Thanks all for your replies.

I think after some consideration and reading what you've had to say, I will probably not end up getting any cories.

I do, however, want two different loach species as I find them all to be really neat fish. I will add more Clowns, probably 1 or 2 to make 5 or 6. As well as denisons.

As far as the second loach species, I also like the kubotai. They are, indeed, a really nice looking fish.

But, I also like the look of the dwarf chain loach. If anyone has any experience and input on that particular type, I'd appreciate it.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 pm

I think the size difference between clowns & sidthimunkis (dwarf chains) is too much to work well long term. Although I love both I wouldn't keep them together for very long. 1-2 inch clowns should grow to 4+ inches in a year or so. Kubotai are similar looking, but at 5 inches, a better choice.

Now, if you're keeping the 90g too, I can see a bunch of sids & striatas in there with the angel...but not the betta too.