Moving and Quarantine

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NancyD

Re: Moving and Quarantine

Post by NancyD » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Hey Fran. I think you should test after 24 hours & see if there is ANY ammonia. If there is, you might try adding either the smaller filter from your 55g or at least some of the media OR just some "filter squeezings" to boost the Safe Start bacteria. I've never used that product but I trust Diana's experience...

You can also use a product like "Prime" that "locks up" ammonia in the safer form for 24-48 hours. If, after you get to 0 ammonia & add fish, keep testing daily & redose Prime as needed. I would then introduce the "non-loach" fish first (ok, they're more "expendable" to me). The whole 2ppm of ammonia is so you can FULLY stock your tank at 1 time, it doesn't HAVE to be that way, you can still go slower if you need to.

You're so close!

FranM

Post by FranM » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Hey, Nancy. Thank you.

I prefer to tackle this nightmare of catching and transporting fish all at one time! Ammonia was still the same tonight. I will check again the morning.

Thank you. :-)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:09 am

I know yo want to do the "easiest" thing ...but you live so close. Don't bail out now!!

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:36 am

There is nothing easy about catching silver dollars. I’m dreading it. LOL. I may need a break after that!!

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 am

I must have purchased dud bacteria in the form of Tetra Smartstart. Really no change this morning with the ammonia reading and no hint of nitrite. In my travels today I will make my last stop at home and take the big bag of Matrix I have in my 55. We’ll see what happens with that in a couple days. I mean 120 gallons is a lot of water dispersement isn’t it? Four large silver dollars, two medium clowns and yo-yos can’t produce 2.0 worth of ammonia in a short time can they?

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:09 pm

That sounds like a lot of ammonia. In a 120 that many fish might produce that much in a couple of days.
If the Safe Start is doing its job the ammonia should not show up that high. Just a little bit of color on the test kit is normal.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 pm

No change this afternoon. I added a bag of Matrix from the 55. I have bigger problems. I can’t move the FX6. I’m exasperated and sad. I destroyed the bottom of the new cabinet trying to put the canister back in. I couldn’t do it. Had to wait for my fiancé. Worse at least three cups of water came out with the suction. I have a rubber pad in cabinet thank God. I can’t work with it. I seriously can’t. I’m sick.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Oh no! I was given a huge canister filter & could barely lift it even without water in it. Luckily I realized that it was not a long term option to keep it & gave it away soon after.

Is there some kind of modification like a pull out shelf that would make it work for you? It wasn't for me, my stand is lower than normal & the filter wouldn't fit that way, maybe you can figure something out?

Maybe your fiancée can be the permanent "helper", canisters don't need to be changed often. You've barely used it, can you exchange it for something that will work for you?

Dang, just when everything was working out for your move. Better now than later is all I can say.

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 am

Thank you, Nancy.

Well I have learned that I can drain the canister which will help some. It is quite awkward taking it out because there’s very little clearance between center cabinet support and the door opening. I like the pull shelf idea but it will probably be too tall as there’s only a little more clearance at the top. I like to clean fish tanks when no one is home so I can make my mess and do my thing and take time without any commentary. But I won’t be able to do that from now on. I do think tho when I drain tank water for water changes I shouldn’t need to re-add water to the canister like you do AFTER it’s drained.

And ammonia is STILL present. At least 1. It’s been four days now I think. I forget now. Sighhhhh.