Loaches can make the difference! O_O

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shazam26

Loaches can make the difference! O_O

Post by shazam26 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:14 am

Since deciding to take on the responsibilty of caring for loaches & other fish, especially clowns, it has made me realize how immensely I enjoy doing so. :D I've actually decided I'd like to pursue going to school to become a professional aquarist. I've been seeing a lot of support from all angles- I'm equally interested in the biology of the work as much as I am working with the animals. Newfoundland is very focused on it's aqua culture and its fish population, but for a province it can be pretty ignorant sometimes. After seeing how badly lots of places treat fish, and how keen I am of the well-being of them, and them as creatures in general, I don't understand why I never thought of it earlier. Funny enough, a good friend of mine had mentioned they wanted to go into this field of work at the same moment I was deciding it would be best for me.
Being in art my teachers always used to pick up on my detailed drawings of aquatic creatures- my own fish or interesting specimens- with their scientific names, and facts on them.
My ultimate goal is to bring a greater awareness to the problem with incorrect information and ignorance regarding fish as household pets.
Species like the clowns aren't suitable for many tanks people put them in, and Iridescent sharks aren't decent for ANY tanks, in my personal opinion.
I don't know how many of those fish I've seen brought to my local LFS, because some idiotic shop sold them, claiming they'd only grow to roughly 6-8 inches. They have one in there now about a foot long, very miserable. I feel very sorry for it. I'm contacting our local aquarium today, they have many enormous tanks adjusted for saltwater, freshwater, and brackish fish- to see if they'd be interested in taking it as a show fish. They often accept specimens. If they'd gladly take him, I wouldn't be bothered to purchase him, and deliver him there myself.
I guess I realized I'm most passionate and interested in this. I don't think I would have ever thought of doing it had I not come to LOL and learned about loaches, though! So thanks for opening my eyes, all! :wink:

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:27 am

Sounds like your on your way to becoming a marine biologist! Perhaps then youll be dealing with multi-thousand gallon tanks instead of tens or hundreds of gallons. I wish you luck with whatever you dedicde, I just wish my whole college experience could have been better lol! :? My hobbies and interests are very diverse, and I ultimately decided going the electronics route. Almost went into forest technology, as the outdoors in general has always been my passion, and there was a (SUNY) Ranger School within an hour of where I grew up that I almost went to, still have the tshirt I got there.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:48 am

This sounds like a fantastic idea for you :D

Since you first appeared here, your boundless enthusiasm has been obvious. I could see your artistic abilities being of immense use in that field too, so your time in an art course won't be wasted. Good luck with pursuing this change of direction.

By the way, it would be really cool to see some of your drawings and put them into the LOL Art Gallery :P

http://www.loaches.com/articles/the-loach-art-gallery

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:14 pm

It's funny, loaches also got me interested in an aquatic career. I think I posted about that a few months back, when I was deciding what I wanted to go back to school for.

Unfortunately my previous academic credentials didn't contribute anything to a grad degree in fish biology, so I ended up pursuing an MBA instead.

But if you can make it work, that would be great. Here are the key issues that got me thinking about the field.

1) Location. I'm in New England, and there are plenty of research institutions and fisheries operations around here. So it shouldn't be *too* hard to land internships, research opportunities, and ultimately a job. If you plan to stay in Newfoundland, it sounds like there are some opportunities available there as well.

2) Help the fishiz! Of course its our concern for the wellbeing of the fish that is probably the #1 motivator. Having a purpose and an admirable goal in your career might not earn you tons of money, but it might make you a happier person.

3) Fun & Interesting. Many people would love to turn their hobby into a career, but how many of us actually get to do that? Before I came back to school, I used to dread getting up for work in the morning. I spent 50 hours every week hating my life. Finding somethign you enjoy is key.

So good luck... I think it would be fantastic to pursue an "aquatic" degree/career.

One piece of advice is to research possible career paths and job opportunities BEFORE selecting a course of study. Eventually you need to get paid for this... you don't want to get a degree and then find out there are no jobs, or find out you need 3 more degrees to make enough $$ to survive.

:)

And I agree w/martin - we need to see some fish art. ;)

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:00 pm

My interests & hobbies are also VERY diverse- but I do believe that essentially, this is what I'd like to end up doing.
And as for the drawings, I was trying to do some scans earlier :( My scanner is being very rude lately :lol: I think it's about time for a new printer/scanner/copier myself! :evil: I tried to scan some drawings, some pictures- nada!
Thanks all ^_^

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:16 am

My scanner was acting up lately too. Ended up uninstalling and reinstalling and problem fixed... have you tried?

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:16 am

yeah i love loaches but you would never guess what else i love. mixed martial arts, nhb, sport fighting. i am going to ultimate fighting championship tonight!

its a big difference when it comes to loaches. i think if you like animals in general you will love loaches no matter what you are into. they are cool little fish!

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 am

Martin is right (he nearly always is) when he says your enthusiasm comes across. i reckon this is one of the most important things you need to do well in what you choose, so go for it girl! you should do well.

Pedzola is also very right when he says research first before starting the course. im glad i did before i ended up doing something my mum tried to pressurize me into doing with not much chance of getting a job at the end. aquatics/fish zooology would have been my second choice of degree when i was 17 - had i realised what jobs there were and had i been allowed to keep fish at home then, i could have ended up peering at bits of pickled fish instead of counting how many onions have what types of mould and liquifying rots :evil:

i hope you find a good course with good employement propositions. that would be so good :D

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:03 pm

Yes, there are nice job opportunities right here if I wanted to stay in Newfoundland- one that strikes me fancy is the fact that such a small group of marine biologists are trying very hard to try and breed the Atlantic Cod- who is now on the endangered list. -_- Which I knew was going to happen ANY day now. Remember the big uproar- Paul McCartney and his wife came here, and everyone was saying "Oh Newfoundland is SO evil, they kill baby seals"? :lol: Well, thanks to their ignorance, seals have shot into ridiculous numbers in our water, and are coming close to wiping out the atlantic cod- their main source of food here. I understand people don't like seeing cute, cuddly animals die- but it really does need to happen:S All the enemies the seal has and not a one comes after them in our waters. It is also against the law to hunt any whitecoats, contrary to the belief of the ignorant. :roll: So now we have this big seal issue, and I'm very worried about losing the cod. It's one of my favorites, actually. They're funny and interesting fish!
I went to the Marine Biology center with my school once when I was a kid. I remember standing by this big, long pool-tank and it was nearly my height- it came to just beneath my ribs. Being the rascal that I was I'd drifted away from the tour group and done my own exploring. :oops: So I hear this slight splash sound coming from it and I peek in. Here is a HUGE cod fish, staring me in the face. :lol: His whiskers cracked me up. It was strange- you know how some fish put their heads slightly out of water sometimes? This is what this guy was doing. Being a true dufus I assumed this meant I could pet it. Luckily it really enjoyed it! I remember everyone running over as I was petting its chin. The next thing you know it turned into a petting zoo! One of the coolest fish ever. It really loved all the attention. :D I would love to help those fish out. It'd be a project I'd be anxious to work on- along with working at our aquarium, which has a lovely variety of fish.

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:33 pm

lol That sounds fun. I want a pet cod.

I have also heard about their over-fishing in the atlantic... funny enough from a seafood advisory website that the US govt provides. They discourage people from eating endangered species.

Anyway, I think you should grab your baseball bat and give those seals something to think about before they eat your pets! Ha!

Good luck.

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:24 pm

goodluck. we need more marine biologists. the marine fish population is truely in trouble.

most people don't care about it as much as the gorillas, panda or even whales because we see fish as merely emotionless, uncomplicated food. Even so, advance in aquaculture, raising fish for food might releave the situation.

shazam26

Post by shazam26 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:05 am

It's such an ignorant 'fact' that people believe. Fish can't feel pain.
How often have I heard that garbage?
I remember we were debating in Biology class about the seal fisheries.
of course most of them- particularly the girls- were whining about how cute the seals were, and how they shouldn't be hunted. The professor said "But if they aren't kept under control, they'll eventually wipe out the Atlantic cod."
One of the girls said "So? Who cares. The atlantic cod is ugly."
Honey, I'd hate to see what you'd do to your baby if it came out 'ugly'. :roll:
I brought up the fact that IF the atlantic cod was wiped out, a lot of newfoundlanders would be left in devastation. Cod is a big part of Newfoundland! I asked her if she cared so much about the seals, why she was doing nothing to help them, an why she wasn't out on the ice floes.
She settled down then. It's fine to run your mouth, but to act on it is another thing.
Just because animals are 'cute' doesn't give them superiority.
Koala bears will tear your ruddy face off :lol: lets see a cod become inclined to do THAT.
I'm tired of people putting fish on the bottom wrung for stupid reasons.
I mean I have nothing against seals, I just have something against them wiping out a really great fish. :?
Image What a cutie ^_^
I would also definitely look foreward to the benefiets of my knowledge- I think my home tanks filled with loaches & catfish would be very well off with the knowledge I'd gain through my profession. 8)

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:16 am

well, the ice flow will be gone soon... sooooo, man, lots of things are going to disappear.

we have no idea how global warming is going to affect the gulf stream and the fishes. we can only guess.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:44 am

when the ice caps (greenland in this case) melt, it will stop the gulf stream (the one in the atlantic...) and then europe's mild weather will stop, and it will go into ice age..

the reason for europe's mild weather is the warmth carried up by the gulf stream..

haha..i watched 'the inconveniet truth' twice in school last month, two different classes...im quite the expert now 8)

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:00 am

it might stop or i'll just alter course.