It's a girl! (kuhli)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bevans

It's a girl! (kuhli)

Post by bevans » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:37 pm

Yesterday I got a good look at one of my kuhlis-not the biggest one-and noticed that there was a greenish-black shadow along the belly, which looked somewhat distended. So I'm thinking I've got at least one girl with eggs. Who has been cuddling with a larger one who could be a male.

I seriously doubt they'll spawn in my community tank and if they do, I can't see how anything will survive. And I don't have the means to set up yet another tank this month, so I'm not planning on encouraging her to reproduce. My question is-will she be hurt, become eggbound, anything like that? Or is this just a sign that she is sexually mature now? Will she just hold onto the eggs until such time as she thinks conditions are right to spawn?

Should I move her and the possible male into my planted 10 gallon with the guppy pair? It's got a nice piece of bogwood and lots of plants but I would think that tank was too small for a love nest.
Brenda