Can I have some more info on stunting?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

loachmom

Can I have some more info on stunting?

Post by loachmom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:00 am

Hi, I'm fairly new here, and I have been learning lots from your site. I have some questions about stunting. I did some searches, but I still don't have my questions answered. How does stunting harm fish? I saw a recent post that said something about "stunting" shortening a fish's life. Is this true? I have six 3" clowns in a 55g. I have only had them about 2 months. They are very active throughout the day and provide my family with much enjoyment. I'm glad that we read here about the different foods they can eat. It's been fun watching them dig into cucumber and cooked shrimp. A few of them have even eaten dried bloodworms from my hand. Such dear little fish!!!! :)

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:12 am

Several effects of stunting are:

Larger head and eye sizes.
Shorter body length.
Increased height (depth from dorsal to ventral surfaces).
Negative effects on internal organs and systems due to body cavity deformity.
Decreased capacity for growth even after improved conditions.

Stunting is most often caused by decreased resources during early growth stages. Limited food availability, increased competition for the available food, poor water quality, and crowded conditions. Some young fry kept in these poor conditions will experience the effects of stunting. Stronger fry will have greater access to food sources and may be less affected by the other less than optimal conditions.

Unfortunately, in the ornamental fish trade, we don't always know what conditions young fish were raised in prior to reaching salable sizes. While small fish may have normal appearance at time of purchase, over time you may find the fish grows poorly or less quickly than others of the same species kept in the same conditions. This may or may not be due to stunted growth. Often, we have to wait and see.

Some other causes for poor growth are illness, internal parasites, insufficient feeding or the effects of unsuitable water chemistry in the aquarium. With improvement in these conditions, non-stunted fish will often resume normal growth.

hth
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:47 am

Very helpful information. And quick, too!!

Thanks.
:D

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:50 am

You are welcome. :)
books. gotta love em!

H3D

Post by H3D » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:59 am

There was a great article on "stunting" in the December 2006 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist. It is very non-biased and has many interesting points.
Instead of doing what can be done, do what should be done.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:13 am

I used to get that magazine...
books. gotta love em!

H3D

Post by H3D » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:12 am

shari2 wrote:I used to get that magazine...
How come you stopped?
Instead of doing what can be done, do what should be done.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:41 am

is it a bit like practical fishkeeping?

loachmom, welcome, i hope you contine to enjoy you loaches - it sounds like you are feeding them tasty stuff :D

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks!!
I do feel welcome. As far as feeding tasty stuff---that's so much fun! I was making chili the other day, and I wondered if the loaches would like a peeled kidney bean. I was too scared to try it though. Didn't want to give the little guys indigestion.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:46 pm

How come I stopped? Well...
a lot of their stuff is too commercial for my taste, and some of it is ...
let's say, not such good advice sometimes...
but--they are right up the street from my house, and my lfs carries it, so once and a while if I see an interesting article on the cover I'll pick one up.

At one point they had a 'Young Hobbyist' contest and my daughter won 1st place in her age group with her article. She won a lovely new complete 20g bowfront aquarium and packages from their advertisers that kept coming for the better part of a year. So I can't bash it too much, now can I? 8)
books. gotta love em!