(Suspected) weather loach arrived in my pond without ever being purchased or added

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Nat198

(Suspected) weather loach arrived in my pond without ever being purchased or added

Post by Nat198 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:53 pm

I have recently discovered a rogue fish in my koi pond (pictured when I can figure out how to add it). Would anybody be able to confirm the species which I believe to be a weather loach and also has anyone ever heard of a case like this?
I am 100% confident nothing like this has ever been added, the closest being a golden tench. This leads me to assume that it may have been added whilst it was an egg either by frog or bird. Also ten years ago pond weed was added from a nearby mill pond but does anyone know of them being found in such places? Any possible answers would be appreciated to tame my confusion 🙂

Diana

Re: (Suspected) weather loach arrived in my pond without ever being purchased or added

Post by Diana » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 am

Where are you located? There are several species of fish that are related to the Dojo or Weather Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) most often kept in aquariums. Some relatives are native to cooler areas of Europe.
Yes, it is possible to transport fish on pond weeds as either eggs (most likely) or as baby fish (weeds would most likely be transported in some water). Here is a link to the species list here at Loaches to the fish found in many places in Europe, and a link to the very similar Cobitis. You can check the other species of Misgurnus and related species such as Cobitis to see if they might be your fish.
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/m ... s-fossilis
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/cobitis-granoie

Here is a link to Fish Base that includes a lot more of the genus Misgurnis. You can do more research to see if any of these are found in your area.
http://www.fishbase.org/Nomenclature/Sc ... chList.php?

Note also that careless aquarium or pond keepers can allow fish to escape either accidentally or on purpose so that fish not native to your area may survive and even breed in areas that suit them.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Dojosmama

Re: (Suspected) weather loach arrived in my pond without ever being purchased or added

Post by Dojosmama » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am

If it does turn out to be a dojo, I hope you will keep the cute little thing and let it thrive in your pond. If the koi are large, they might eat it. If it has places to hide, like rocky outcroppings or plants, it could survive peacefully for several years, assuming it gets some of the food when you feed the koi. Dojos are peaceful community fish and will do no harm in your pond. I do hope you will keep it and care for it as you care for your koi. Dojos are fun to watch and fun to have. If you have one, congratulations. You are fortunate.