So Much For the Fishless Cycle

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Re: So Much For the Fishless Cycle

Post by FranM » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 am

So, this is my decision.

I’m going with four silver dollars first from old tank to new (this was suggested to be by Nancy D or LoachLoach), along with the small HOB filter currently in 55 and a bottle of Safestart if it works.

Hoping the silvers will be enough to keep the bacteria going but not overkilling the system. If they fare well for a few days and the ammonia doesn’t spike, I think I’d like to go with the bunch of tetras next. Wait a week, see how the ammonia is faring, then bring in the loaches the week after with the big HOB filter. I really dread having those eyesores on the new tank but after another week I will wean off filters a little at a time and maybe dump more Safe start as I do.

Thoughts on this?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:48 am

adding fish, waiting a week before adding more and so on looks like the best way to do so.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks, Bas.

I really wanted this done and over with and just wanted to be settled and enjoy the new aquarium. But, today, I do feel better about it. Tank is redone and ready to go. I probably cannot do it tomrrow but Tuesday should be the day for filter and silver dollars. I’m so tempted to try safe start again and have the filter as backup. I just done want to see an ugly HOB hanging on this lovely new piece of furniture, you know?

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:21 pm

That sounds like a good plan, Fran...But see how you parameters are after the silver$$ additions. I know you were apprehensive about trying to catch them, but you can use a piece of plastic or even cardboard to block off half the tank. They'll be easier to net that way, 2 nets are a plus although I'm lefty lame you just need to "herd" them toward the big! net. Lowering the water level can help too...especially when it comes to loach catching. Take out all décor when the loach moving time comes, I mean all of it!

You can do this! I'm sorry your Mom is giving your QT the "bum's rush", I can understand her wanting the tanks gone, ASAP...you don't live there anymore, lol. Can't you squeeze in a temporary tank spot in the new condo? Behind a couch or chair?!? Somewhere, in front of a window for a few weeks? It can be done!

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:44 pm

LOL.

Nancy, my mother isn’t rushing me that badly (even though she already has a new love seat in FRONT of the 55)! But she won’t be disappointed at all to see it gone. I’d mentioned a 29 or even a 20 gallon hospital tank for the condo for just a short month and my fiancé went crazy! “You’re allowed ONE aquarium!” Honestly, I’m getting tired of the back and forth and work involved so I just want one tank only to care for.

As I may have expressed before, I have a fear of fish out of water (the floppiness and jumping freaks me out)! That’s my biggest fear with the silver $$. I also purchased a larger, deeper net. I have an oval Tupperware pitcher that I save for fish use and that will work splendidly for the loaches.

Yes, I will def monitor water parameters after the $$ go in. So close once again.

Thanks for the support, Nancy!! :-)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 pm

I'm glad your mom isn't being as pushy as I thought...but, still, it's time to move, we know that.

Can't you let your fiancée understand he needs to relax into this...it's short term!!! At most!! His support would be very much appreciated right now...OK, Fran, make it happen...soon!!! Soonest!! You CAN!! & so can he...it's temporary...a few months, aren't you & your fish worth it? Yes, you all are!!

To me it looks like you have room for a 55g or at least a 29g to the left of your big tank...it's temporary! Think about it in the short term...

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:12 pm

https://youtu.be/4-0E6XjGYt0

They’re all in and I combined HOB filters and have one hanging on the side of the tank. My guess is it needs to be there for a month. Praying for the transition to work out ok and praying for my own health which has been challenged with the stress of this move. LOL. I’m serious! I wanted a pair of small cichlids eventually but it seems the clowns have already taken up residence in the cichlid rock decoration.

So yes, I did this all at once. Loaches and all. I couldn’t have this weight on me any longer. I’m going to test ammonia for the hell of it but I honestly doubt an issue. I have to hook up the air stone today and bring their frozen food over. I pray for no issues.

(My stepdad, 84, netted the silver $$ and I did the loaches and cherry barb. I had a nice fine/silky net for their delicate skin. For Mr Slim, the biggest, I used a Tupperware.). I can’t express the relief I had when they were all safely in new aquarium.

I am going to bring up the quarantine tank here but not now, a month from now—or whenever the time is when I think the FX6 is seeded. But this could take forever, no? I need to raise the bioload for the FX6 to make bacteria shouldn’t I?

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:53 pm

So, it's been 3 weeks or so...how are things going now, Fran?

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:35 pm

Fish were added with old filter on Aug 17th. All is pretty good. Clowns aren’t their rich color yet though Mr Slim seems to be improving. Other than that all seems ok, thank you.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 am

Why do a fishless cycle now that we have " Colony " ? I've used it twice now and it's brilliant.
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:38 pm

So how are thing coming Fran? I've lost track of which thread is the current 1...but I want to know...

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 pm

As of 8/16/18, all is good.

Tomorrow will be one month the fish have been here. Thinking of a weaning off a piece of filter media at a time BUT, I want the media for the quarantine tank which I will get going soon at the old house.

Even though the output hose is directly hitting a fake plant, I have brown algae (diatoms) growing on the leaves. I’d like otocinclus eventually but hope they don’t become snacks for silver dollars.

So, I have either an excess of phosphate or....what’s the other by-product of waste called that could cause that? Not nitrate. Nitrate is under 20.

Thank you for asking.

Fran

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 pm

You know, I prefer a BN pleco to otocinclus. They're much hardier than the often times delicate otos & big enough not to be a big fish snack.

I have a L144 pleco female. She's a pretty gold color & seems to do her "job" of eating algae...& gets some leftover food too. I like regular brown BNs but am not a huge fan of albinos...that's just me...