For everyone who's interested, loaches are oily fish

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ChocolateCake123

For everyone who's interested, loaches are oily fish

Post by ChocolateCake123 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:08 pm

I recently went on a 5 day vacation and thought I had my aquarium under control, as I had prepped it the night before and done a 25 percent water change. Unfortunately, the filter backed up, and while my weather loach and 1 of my black kuhli loaches survived, all the other loaches perished. I took the opportunity to cut open one of my clown loaches. The flesh wasn't white, like that of cod or haddock. It was pink and very oily, similar to carp or mackerel, both of which are oily fish, and I imagine it would taste similar. I like both white and oily fish, and I know clown loaches are eaten in Indonesia, so if I went there I know I would enjoy a meal of roasted clown loach :mrgreen: I also took the opportunity to cut open a dead kuhli loach, and while I couldn't see the flesh color, it was very oily, like that of the clown loach. If the fishing industry were to catch on, perhaps we might see whole roasted clown loaches added to the menus of Asian restaurants, or little cans of kuhli loach fillets alongside the cans of sardines at the store. If you have any more examples of oily aquarium fish, feel free to leave them in the comments. Thanks!

Bas Pels

Re: For everyone who's interested, loaches are oily fish

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:35 am

The Indonesian government has banned the export of clown loaches longer than a certain size, in order to preserve the species

I don´t think any culinary use of this already threatened fish will be a good idea.

With regard to what aquarium fish one can eat - in the poorer parts of Asia, people will eat anything. Even fish as amall as 3 cm

ChocolateCake123

Post by ChocolateCake123 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:22 am

Just some extrapolation. Which loach is threatened Clowns or Kuhlis? I thought they were both fine....

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:31 am

As far as I know the clown loach. I never read anything about the conservation status of kuhlis

ChocolateCake123

Post by ChocolateCake123 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Another thing: Yoyo loaches, being related to clown and kuhli loaches, are definitely oily fish as well, and they are about the size of herring. If the fishing industry were to catch on, might we see cans of pickled yoyo loach fillets, or smoked yoyo loach "kippers?"?

carinamon

Post by carinamon » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:41 pm

While they can vary in appearance and behavior, loaches are not known for their oil content. Instead, they are known for their diverse and often colorful appearances, as well as their interesting behaviors, making them popular choices for aquarium enthusiasts. infinite craft