2 Clowns, New Home, Greying Out

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ChocolateCake123

Re: 2 Clowns, New Home, Greying Out

Post by ChocolateCake123 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:55 am

FranM, if you're interested, I can recommend a weather loach as a clown tankmate. Mine got along great with my 6 clown loaches, and with your tank size it may even work with the yoyos too

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:11 am

Hi Choc.

I think it’s either clowns need more of their kind— or nothing. Weather loaches are cool but I keep a warm fish tank and I believe they are cool water loaches.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:37 am

Strangely, adding more loaches didn't change anything for me at the time. I started off with 5 clown loaches, now I have 13. The behaviour is pretty much the same, just more loaches so it looks like more fun. The advantage is that they seem to get friendly with particular loaches from the group with which they hang out more so than others, based on their general character. Some of my loaches are more outgoing, others hide more, some are bolder, others more skittish. The young loaches for example always hang around together in a sub group and my biggest and oldest also stick together and if they're out, they're together.
The colours were never influenced by numbers though, but more by light levels. I kept mine in very bright lights and they greyed out more. Now I don't have bright lights and its way better for them.

As for flow, what you've got is fine and should not have any impact on clown loach colour but make sure the outlets blow in the exact same direction. I think you mentioned you have the filters at opposite sides? Chaotic flow is no good for river fish or pretty much any tropical fish we keep. I'd position the outlets next to each other blowing at the same direction, perhaps the length of the tank...

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:22 am

Hi Loach.

Thanks for your input, as always.

I have the FX6 output pretty much flowing in the same direction. The HOB is on the opposite side right now but it’s temporary.

I saw your reply about the lights on the other post. The strip light is the base LED it came with (not enough to grow plants—I had asked) but I’ve just come up with a fabulous solution! I’m going to get black electrical tape and cover a bunch of white lights to reduce the bright light!!

UPDATE. I had gray duct tape but it’s pretty transparent. The pics don’t show enough of a difference to post but in person it’s a bit more noticeable. Definitely need the black.

Cardeater

Post by Cardeater » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Just replying to say that the flow isn't a problem and the Loaches probably like it.

That being said, they do fine with little flow. I had minimal flow in my tank and my three.loaches I have survived for over 20 years.

I've since added flow with two powerheads. The new Loaches and rainbowfish seem to enjoy the powerheads as I see them occasionally swimming into the flow. They have areas with low flow where they hang out, but I'll also see them swimming along the back wall into the flow of the biggest powerhead.

There a poster on here with several tanks connected by water bridge and his clowns preferred the tank with a huge.amount of flow. He knows they preferred it as they had the option to go to the calmer water tanks. He had YouTube videos posted and it was obvious when he dropped food that the current was really strong.

FranM

Post by FranM » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:38 am

Thanks, Card.

Seems like flow isn’t a problem so I’m glad about that.

ChocolateCake123

Post by ChocolateCake123 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 pm

FranM wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:11 am
Hi Choc.

I think it’s either clowns need more of their kind— or nothing. Weather loaches are cool but I keep a warm fish tank and I believe they are cool water loaches.
Are they not able to adapt to warmer water? Mine, like I said, lives with clown and kuhli loaches, and is able to tolerate the 31 degree water they require. Plus the local pet store keeps theirs with the bala sharks. And, I was told that warmer water will, at most, shorten the lifespan by 1-2 years, but nothing really to worry about. Just so you know.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:34 am

You admit it will shorten their lifespan, but much more then 2 yrears, I'm afraid.

Life is chemistry, and a normal chemical process will go 2 times faster if done 10 degreews warmer. Problem is, however, for life - being regulated by enzymes, this is much more. 5 times faster for every 10 degrees more.

Your wheather loach would ideally be kept in winter below 10 C and in summer at soome 20 to 25 C, depending on the day. 31 C is therefore even in summer some 6 degrees more than ideal.

I would expect thier lifespan to be shortened to less then half.