Black Algae

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FishyLady

Black Algae

Post by FishyLady » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:57 am

I've got it growing all over the leaves of a large Anubias, plant which is growing well attached to a large rock so I cant take it out easily to clean the leaves. How do I get rid of it, it is in the weather loach tank.

/
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

loachnoob

Re: Black Algae

Post by loachnoob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Whats the tanks temp?

Panda garra are very impressive cleaners

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Oh thanks for that suggestion, I didn't really want to increase the bio load but some good cleaners would certainly be useful. The tank is unheated so tends to be whatever the ambient temperature is which at the moment is 79F. How many would I need for 4ft tank, would 3 be enough? would they be OK with my cherry barbs?
Thanks again for your help.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Your tank temp is fine for them.

I have 2 in my 125 gallon only because that's all they had for sale at a LFS. I think I paid around 10 bucks USD for fish around 2-3" long, which is lower than the going rate. I really wish I had 3 so they had a little more of a group, although they rarely pal around like my loaches do. They may chase each other a bit, but my tank is loaded with hide-a-ways. They don't bother any other fish in the tank at all.

My only regret was that I didn't take a before and after picture of when I put them in - I can't image this to be normal results - but I'll tell you my story.

My tank was covered in a brown film, I assumed to be diatoms. I always kept the front pane clear for viewing, but I let it grow everywhere else, after all it did look natural. The second I released them into the tank, they immediately began cleaning the glass. You could literally watch them pave a line of cleanliness in their wake. The next morning I woke up to a tank that was dang near spotless. I kid you not.

They're omnivores and seem to forage constantly, so once they clean up the "gunk" they'll eat anything you put in the tank (mine eat flakes, shrimp pellets, chopped frozen shrimp, brine shrimp, blood worms, algae wafers, literally anything. They don't bother my plants other than eatting the film off of them.

They're superior to plecos in every way. You may have to special order them, my understanding is there kind of new to the hobby. For those that may say they have to have moving water, in nature they live in streams that also become near standing still/stagnant during periods of the season.

I have 3 panda rufas in my kids tank, they're not near as attractive or janitorial in the sense of eatting scums. They clearly have a preference for moving water as they swim in the out flow of a filter ALL DAY! I get tired just watching them!

To summarize panda garra: peaceful, efficient, and beautiful.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Apparently (so I read) black algae is not an algae at all, it is in fact a kind of bacteria, hope panda garra like that as well!!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:52 am

Black beard algae IS an alga (a so called "red" alga); it's cyanobacteria that's not. It can be confusing: BBA vs BGA (blue green "alga" is really a bacteria). Almost no fish eat BGA,; a few will graze on BBA, but not enough to remove it all.

The causes of both are difficult to pinpoint with any certainty. Low or high flow, or either of nitrate; high light or intermittent or seasonal intense lighting. Over the years I've had both & beaten them with different strategies...eventually...but it's very hard every time!

Can you post pics of your tank , tank & tap water parameters, maintenance schedule, filters, lighting; just everything, lol....& then we'll ask for more! & offer several different treatments that may or may not work for long...but just might work for you!