Mysterious Myers deaths

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jnboone

Mysterious Myers deaths

Post by Jnboone » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 am

I had ten Khuli in my 120 gallon community heavily planted well established tank. I'm about to set up a 240 gallon which will ultimately hold most of the fish in the 120. I bought 20 more Khuli's two weeks ago. Within the last week I've lost four of my khuli's (water parameters are fine - tested and retested). I think it's been almost a year since I had any loss in the tank. I don't understand why I would lose Khuli's (and only Khuli's) all of the sudden.

As I did my research I found this site. I wasn't aware of the different species of striped Khuli's. The original ten were bought it two batches, and it appears some were Pangio Myersi and some were Pangio Khuli.

First any idea what could have led to the Myersi deaths? The only thing I've come up with as a possibility is worms.

Second, does anyone know of any reliable/reputable place I can source some Pangio Myersi? I regularly purchase from Wet Spot, Aquatic Arts, and Imperial Tropicals.

Thanks!!!

NancyD

Re: Mysterious Myers deaths

Post by NancyD » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:26 pm

New loaches can have trouble adapting from shipping & to your tank. It can be from stress, disease, parasites, different foods or water parameters. It's hard to say. Did you see them eat? What signs did they display? What was their shipping or lfs water vs your tank & tap water? Red streaks? White specks? Blotches of any color? So many things...

ChocolateCake123

Re: Mysterious Myers deaths

Post by ChocolateCake123 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 pm

How big were they when you bought them? I had the exact same problem with black kuhli loaches, but my clown loaches were doing well, and black kuhlis are a lot hardier than clowns, so it was perplexing.That is, until I realized that the dead black kuhlis all had 1 thing in common: They were all about 7 to 8 cm long, the species' max size. As it turns out, the pet store near my house is selling old-aged kuhlis which have, at most, a few months of life left. Maybe your local pet store does the same?