Will Angelicus Loaches Prey on Rasboras?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The Fish Nerd

Will Angelicus Loaches Prey on Rasboras?

Post by The Fish Nerd » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello!!
I've kept fish for many years and have several tanks but only recently acquired my first botia loaches.
I recently accepted a tank from a friend who couldn't care for it anymore and along with it came 2 botia kubotai and 2 botia striata.
I'm also in the process of setting up a new 55 gallon planted tank and was considering moving the loaches into this tank when it's done, adding 6 more of each species.
For the top portion of the tank, I've been planning on a large school of espei rasboras.
Since the rasboras will only be about neon tetra sized (smaller and a bit more torpedo shaped than the similar harlequin rasboras) and the botia kubotai are 4-5 inches, I wanted to check with some experienced loach keepers to make sure the loaches won't snack on my rasboras before I move forward.
I've heard of large clown loaches snacking on nano fish to some extent but not sure if this would be likely to occur with the much smaller kubotai and striata.

Thanks!!!

Bas Pels

Re: Will Angelicus Loaches Prey on Rasboras?

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:44 pm

I would not fear that. the T espei swim rather high in the tank, further their body is over 6 mm (1/4 inch) high when adults.

I don't expect kubotai and striata to get their mouth stretched that far

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:13 pm

I think you'll be fine...but 8 of each species is a bit on the "heavy stocking" loach side with that tank "footprint". I kept sids (10) & striatas (6, smaller than kubotai) with espies in a 75g: a 50% larger bottom surface. Have LOTS of hiding places. I never saw any aggression toward either the espei rasboras or r. borapetensis.

My loaches divided themselves into 1 dominate female of each species at either end of the tank; surprising, but it worked.

The Fish Nerd

Post by The Fish Nerd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks!! That’s what I figured and was hoping for.
Just wanted to make sure with some folks who’ve kept them before. :)

The Fish Nerd

Post by The Fish Nerd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:06 am

NancyD wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:13 pm
I think you'll be fine...but 8 of each species is a bit on the "heavy stocking" loach side with that tank "footprint". I kept sids (10) & striatas (6, smaller than kubotai) with espies in a 75g: a 50% larger bottom surface. Have LOTS of hiding places. I never saw any aggression toward either the espei rasboras or r. borapetensis.

My loaches divided themselves into 1 dominate female of each species at either end of the tank; surprising, but it worked.
Thanks Nancy! I may start with six of each. I would probably just do the Angelicus but I already have two of the striata and figured I should provide them with a larger group.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:28 am

Couldn't you net the two striatas?

The Fish Nerd

Post by The Fish Nerd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 am

Bas Pels wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:28 am
Couldn't you net the two striatas?
I could...but I like 'em. lol
I just think the angelicus are prettier.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:58 pm

I was thinking of netting them to another tank. Not giving them away

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Yeah, I might try out 6 of each too. It's not ideal but might work. Do you have another tank if it doesn't? What's your water change schedule like? Plants?

Are those the only fish (loaches & rasboras) you plan to keep in this tank?

My striatas were pretty shy & smaller than I've seen them after 5 or 6 years, maybe 3" max for the big females, smaller for males. I have seen them a solid 4 inches in lfs display tanks. I haven't kept kubotai (yet, LOL, they're next I think).